Giant Danio

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have 6 Giant Danio that I've had for about 6 months now. They all get along very well considering I have them in such a small group. But they do great. None of them ever hurt each other, I mean of course they have pecking order, but that only comes out when they try to steal each others shrimp during feeding and they don't even nip each other, they just turn to chase the other away, and then they go right back to their shrimp piece. But lately, I've been noticing a lot of chasing and nipping towards 2 specific Danio. I think these 2 are girls and the ones chasing are boys. But it is SO hard to determine their sex. Can someone please tell me how they determine theirs?? And secondly, is this spawning behavior? They only do this in the morning and I've read some about Danio spawning first thing in the morning. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just curious. Anyone know?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Females are a little bigger and fatter, males are a little brighter in color. AFAIK, that's it for sexing Giant Danios. Chasing in the morning light is certainly indicative of spawning behavior, especially for the various Danios. You would need to set up a separate tank if you wanted to spawn them, if not, don't worry about it, nobody is going to get hurt.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Females are a little bigger and fatter, males are a little brighter in color. AFAIK, that's it for sexing Giant Danios. Chasing in the morning light is certainly indicative of spawning behavior, especially for the various Danios. You would need to set up a separate tank if you wanted to spawn them, if not, don't worry about it, nobody is going to get hurt.
Awesome thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom