Giant Danio - Prevent Breeding?

jojomo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi. I currently have 8 Giant Danio in a 75g. some fake plants, medium sized river rock substrate and around 77 degrees. I have been noticing fry for weeks now every few mornings. A few dozen. They get eaten of course. One however is almost an inch long and will likely survive. My question is this. Is there anything I can do to PREVENT breeding whilst keeping my fish healthy and happy?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NOPE. Healthy fish are going to try to breed. Not sure what "medium sized river rock" is, but if the gaps between the pebbles are big enough for the eggs to fall into, then you will continue to have fry popping out. A finer substrate that does not hide the eggs would make those more available as food for bottom dwelling fish. However, if this is a single species tank, then I would expect fry are going to survive regardless.

OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 7 Bleeding Heart Tetra, if I put them in the tank would they eat the eggs as well? Would the Danios and the BHs get along?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really need some sort of bottom dweller to deal with scattered eggs. However, I think the Danios and Bleeding Hearts would probably coexist peacefully.

OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The thing is all of my Danios have a strange white lump on their bottom lip. Appears to vary / change in size. Been there for at least 2 years now. Not sure if it's a slow moving disease or what, but they'd been treated with almost everything in the book with no luck. BC of this I'm hesitant to put them into my 210 with my Kissing GouramI and Pleco BC I really want them to live full healthy lives and I'm afraid if this is a disease it would pass to the others. Not sure what my best option is. I feel badly.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got a picture? Sounds more like a deformity of some sort, and deformities aren't contagious.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like they were getting bumped by running into hard plastic plants and decorations, I didn't see anything that I would have treated other than by eliminating things for them to damage the mouth on. I read through that thread, I'm surprised they're still alive with all the chemicals being recommended. A simple mouth injury does not require $100 worth of treatment, just clean water and patience.

The fact that they are spawning tells me that those white patches are nothing to worry about; sick fish don't breed!!!!! They are just minor bruises that are being aggravated by continued bumping and over medication with harsh chemicals. They most assuredly are not anything that other fish are going to get infected by.

OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's wonderful to hear and I so hope it's true.

mach6

Reaction score
Since danios are surface fish, their bottom lips protrudes out in front so it makes sense if they bump into things that's where the growth it.

In my 20+ years of fishkeeping, a fish either survives or dies within a week when catching some illness when being treated. If they survived for 2 years then it's safe to assume it's not any illness but physical injury.

OP
jojomo91

jojomo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My fish vet suggested it may be "trauma and fibrosis formation" or something like lymphocystis.

New Threads