Giant Danio Ill/gravid

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 3 Giant danios in a community tank about 300L, for the last couple of weeks one has been getting rounder. Until today all 3 swam around constantly but now the round one has started to spend a lot of its time hidden behind the spray bar and occasionally swimming with the others. I suspect that it is either gravid or ill. As I have never had a gravid danio before I don't know what it should look like and how it should behave. I have tried my best to photograph them but I apologise for the poor photos.
IMG_20190726_173625.jpg
IMG_20190726_173826.jpg

Has anyone had gravid giant danios before and do these look right?
thankyou for any assistance.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is your Giant Danio more round or more wide (top to bottom), if it's the latter than it could just be gravid. Since they are egg scatterers you might be able to see an egg or two on the leaves on plants in your aquarium, if you look closely. However, Giant Danios should only carry eggs for two-ish days before depositing them/spawning, so if the same one has been "round" for a few weeks I would say you are looking at a different issue. Have you checked your parameters recently? Or is it possible the danio is constipated?

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's more wide top to bottom. I tested water yesterday and it was the same as always
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 7.5
KH 5
GH 4
Temp 25.6 C
There are no signs of eggs but there is a very greedy plec in the tank. Is it normal for it's behavior to change before laying eggs? Also I have read that laying is triggered by the morning sun will it be a problem that this tank gets no sun? I could put it in my guppy tank which is near a window.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, it doesn't sound like it's bloated then and your parameters look good as well.
Yes, plecos will absolutely eat the eggs (that is why I have a school of giant danios but never any fry, lol). My females when laying eggs usually tend to go closer to the bottom (but only for brief periods of time) and then they are right back up to the top where they normally swim. Is it possible she has been laying eggs and then becoming gravid right away again? Like has she ever looked slightly less wide? I think they can lay new eggs every 4 days or so. Often I would see mine looking really wide at night and then when I fed them at 8AMish they would be slightly smaller.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have only had the danios for a few months and they are still growing. Untill two weeks ago they all looked the same but this one has gotten wider and the others haven't. I thought this might be because it's a female and the others are males but I'm not sure about this as I can't see any difference except the swelling. What can I do if it's bloated. I already feed shelled pea once a week? They are currently about 2 1/2 inches. Will they still lay eggs if there isn't a male in the other two? I have read they pair before laying.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you are feeding them peas, then you wouldn't have to worry about constipation at all. It's possible the widening you see is just the fish growing more sexually dimorphic (differences between males and females of a species) as they get older, mine did the same and are about 3 inches. The females have something of a "belly" and the males are more streamlined once they reach sexual maturity.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope that this is the case. Thank you for your advice, I think I will sleep easier tonight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom