Giant Danio becoming aggressive?

1. keseyjo Initiate Member

Hi all,

I couldn't find anywhere to post about my giant danio so I thought this is the closest thread.

I've got 1 giant danio who seems to be getting nippy with all my other smaller fish. I took 2 of them in from a friend who was breaking down their tank and both of them seemed to do alright despite them being schooling breed. Unfortunately, 1 passed away about a month ago and I've just now noticed the one I have left is just sorta getting a bit "aggressive" with my balloon mollies and my guppies. If they are in front of his path he's swimming he chases them and nips at them. Should I try and find a new home for him? I don't have enough stock room to get a school of them going right now and I only took them off my friends hand so she wouldn't flush them. I'm not particularly interested in getting more. Once this one goes that'll be it. I prefer the smaller fish. Should I just let him stay and wait it out to see if the nippy-ness goes away? Or is that something that's going to continue and kill all my little ones because he's by himself?

Any help and advice is always welcome!!

Thank you so much!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Danios can be very nippy when they're stressed, and yours is stressed because he's alone. They need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

If you don't want to get more, you should rehome him.

3. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

What size tank do you have? Giant danios can grow up to 6". There's also a chance it might eat your smaller fish as it grows.