Giant corkscrew Vail

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Are corkscrew vials difficult to take care of?

2. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Anyone?

3. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol I wouldnt say easy but not hard. People said to me that Madagascar lace plants are very difficult and only for experts well for the stubborn person I am (not all the time though lol) I bought one (as a bulb). Ive had it in my tank for a few weeks and its already a foot tall!!! It grew super fast and ive had no probs with it dying away. I did rearrange my tank because of new plants so I did have to trim all the brown clogged up leaves but after that it has grown twice as much as before. I think it liked the trim :)

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

No, not difficult under the right conditions. I insert root tabs, dose Flourish Comp and Excel (acclimated slowly as vals are sensitive to it) and have a Finnex Planted+. They're growing really well for me.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I just put corkscrew vals in my new 75. They seem to be melting away but I've read that is normal in new tanks

6. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ok good. I am brand new to live plants. Last week I bought an Amazon sword. 2 days ago I ordered another Amazon sword, a java fern and the corkscrew Val. My fish seem to love the live plant so I figured I'd get some more

7. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Yeah melting away is common for most to all plants that are sensitive to changes. Tyguy7760 you should show some pictures! :)

8. G

Gem New Member Member

Not really! I've had some good luck with Cork Vals: just make sire the lighting is pretty good and the substrate also. I have soil under my gravel and my 3 are beautiful

9. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Awesome I have 2 swords and a java fern those are easy, was hoping the corkscrew was too. I am brand new to planted tanks. I have florescent lighting in my tank it's quite bright.

10. octavio

octavio Valued Member Member

It may take a while, but the corckscrew val should grow back nicely. You know everything is OK if they begin to put out runners. Good luck.