Giant Betta/King Betta

Cole23

Reaction score
I was looking on some different fish websites and came across something called a giant betta. I had never heard of that before, and had no idea they existed. I can’t find a lot of info on them, and was hoping someone on here could tell me more, they seem interesting. I understand they are larger than a normal betta, but what about minimum tank size compared to a normal betta? Feeding requirements? Are they more aggressive than normal size bettas? I would just like some more info on these if anyone wants to share. Thanks!

Jon Crosby

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have seen a couple in-store before and they are generally bigger than normal ones. I did ask about them and he said they can get between 3-5 Inches

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A giant betta's temperament is no different than a regular betta's, which is varying, and their care is the exact same, except their suggest minimum tank size is 10 gallons and they need to be fed a little more. A good rule of thumb for feeding is to feed as big as their eye or until they have a slightly rounded belly.

adagona

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Repolie. I keep a giant betta in a 10 gallon but I find it quite hard to tell when her belly is slightly rounded (she is fat), so I feed as big as her eye instead.

OP
C

Cole23

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everybody! So I’ve read that quite a few people on here keep pygmy cories and a few other small peaceful species with bettas. Is there a larger risk with placing pygmy cories or another similar fish with a giant betta compared to a normal size betta?

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's mine. Loved him but lost him while I wasn't at home. Cost me $80 from LFS.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cole23 said:
I was looking on some different fish websites and came across something called a giant betta. I had never heard of that before, and had no idea they existed. I can’t find a lot of info on them, and was hoping someone on here could tell me more, they seem interesting. I understand they are larger than a normal betta, but what about minimum tank size compared to a normal betta? Feeding requirements? Are they more aggressive than normal size bettas? I would just like some more info on these if anyone wants to share. Thanks!
I have a King betta, he's about 3.5 inches. A 10g is great and just feed a bit more than a normal sized betta. Mine is with chili rasboras, they are very small (less than an inch) and he has been with shrimp in the past. He is great with them. Never been aggressive. It just depends on the betta :)!

OP
C

Cole23

Reaction score
Do any of you know of any online stores that sell giant bettas?

New Threads