Giant African Snail

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by 2211Nighthawk, Jan 9, 2018.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

To my American friends, meet Midget! The baby giant African land snail. Dad/mom (cause a single snail has both reproductive organs) has a 6” shell. This guy is just a few days old. Maturity is at 6-9 months, and he’ll be full grown by then. So he’s gonna grow an inch a month.

78309D63-9806-4F71-8D79-6C165FE98DA2.jpeg A6F82FE6-584B-4E61-87D3-7BFB0ABBA639.jpeg

2. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How long do they live?

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I never heard of them, but they sound interesting. I like the fact that they get big.

4. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

They can live 5-7 but up to 10 years. They are insanely invasive, part of the reason they’re so illigal in the states, becuase they can lay up to 200 eggs a clutch and babies have an 80% survival rate. In Canada they’re crazy illigal to release, but they can’t surive the winter so we can still have them as pets. They’ll still cause chaos over summer untill it gets cold enough anyways. The eggs have to be frozen to kill them before tossing but my friend didn’t freeze them in time so they hatched. :D my mom actually agreed to it becuase I said it’s cheaper than my fishtanks. Room lighting and temperature and no filter needed.

It’s crazy how big they get. And how fast. I’m kinda looking forward to this. He’s in a litttle 6” by 6” Tupperware container but eventually a 15 long will be needed. Or bigger. :) just to annoy my dad (he already dosen’t like my fish and thinks I’m bonkers for getting a snail) I told him I can bring my snail outside becuase I can’t bring my cats out. :D

5. wolf1021

wolf1021 Valued Member Member

lucky all I have is a gold mystery snail

6. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Ironically, I can’t stand them in my tanks. But this guy is kinda cool. Gonna have him on my coffee table in the middle of my living room once he’s big enough the cats can’t eat him.

7. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Those things are so cool! Lol it would be awesome to have a snail the size of your hand (when Midget is full grown of course)

8. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

That’s why I’m calling him that. I can laugh myself sick that I have a 6” snail named Midget. I can add him to the list of illigal pets I have. My dojo’s are also illigal in Manitoba. Except they’d survive the winter. :D

9. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

I had one as a pet....it was burnt in a fire because it became invasive in trinidad...I think its illegal now to have them?? My one reached almost 10 inches long

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Have you ever seen giant earthworms? There is this certain species(somewhere in the Amazon I think) that can grow to 22 feet.

11. shiv234

Whaa....i gonna look this up

12. scarface

I still remember seeing one at the zoo (Philadelphia I think) as a child all those years ago. It was the coolest thing ever at the time.

13. FlipFlopFishFlake

*Gasps* Illegal activity?!?! How dissapointing....lol:p:bored:

14. FlipFlopFishFlake

I love the Philadelphia zoo! I basically grew up there, maybe thats why I am such an animal geek lol

15. shiv234

Illegal activity you say.....a time some police came by our house and wanted to talk to my dad but he wasn't home. They saw behind our house and asked us why is the so much grass behind our house and i told them we like to grow weeds....needless to say my dad really let me have it that day...i still never found out why they came though

16. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Nevermind it’s a South African worm. Amazonian worms can still grow to at least 4 feet though.

17. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

They’re invasive everywhere. Majorly in the states, but it kinda sounds like so far Canada gets cold enough in winter it kills them off.

Man, some of the texts I’ve sent my dad. “The package has been delivered and cash has been received” from kijiji runs? Man that conversation was awesome.

18. scarface

I think that's where my love for reptiles began. I grew quite the collection. Those were good days.

19. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Another pic.
    253AD1CF-F72C-4823-B23F-B7A7E37B08C8.png

20. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Scoot (bigger) and Boogie at 4 months old. Midget didn’t make it so I got these two from the same batch as replacements.
    1517E31C-BB4E-4EF9-BA9A-E34ADDDB2C10.png C6210C3A-19A4-421B-9894-AC20129C1420.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice