Ghostly Violence?

blaxicanlatino
Ive noticed lately that my bettas tail has holes in it and frayed ends. Could the newly introduced shrimps be biting his tail?

Lucy
My guess would be the betta thinks it's a snack.

blaxicanlatino
The betta doesn't bother them. Once I even watched as the betta swam across the amazon sword and the shrimp jumped on him 0_0

mrsmuffin
I think Lucy meant that your betta thinks his tail is a snack!

Lucy

I read that wrong, I thought the shrimp had a hole in it's tail, sorry.
Is there anything in the tank it could snag it's tail on?

blaxicanlatino
the gravel is rough and rocky, That could highly be it... but he never had this problem of all the 7 months hes been in there until the shrimps were introduced

Rainsong
I had this same thing happen to a betta I used to have. He developed a pinhole in one of his fins- a year later he had developed a few more. But they never tore, or really grew... it was kind of odd. He didn't have anything he could have torn his fins on, either. I was told it was a defiency, but I can't recall if they said it was iodine, calcium, or something else.

The betta lived a long, healthy, active life- they never bothered him, just me.

King_Snuggles
I have a betta and ghost shrimp the shrimp have swiped at his tail before and he does get the little holes in his tail every once in a while weather I have shrimp in with him or not. I don't think its the shrimp. I think he ether gets it snagged on something or bites it him self.

blaxicanlatino
Well the betta is gone now but now I have another problem. The biggest shrimp in my tank has killed and eaten a smaller ghost shrimp!!! She ate his entire body alone!

Hypnox
Cocktail sauce, it's the only way to be sure.

ShaynaB
Cocktail sauce, it's the only way to be sure.

LOL

Are you sure that your big shrimp wasn't just eating an exoskeleton? Ghost shrimp will molt periodically and eat their (and sometimes other shrimps) exoskeletons. I think it's because it puts nutrients back into their bodies.

I have a big mama ghost shrimp and I've seen her snatch exoskeletons before.

blaxicanlatino
oh no, it was a real shrimp, I had 6 now I have 5. I even saw him attempting to get away, at first I thought they were mating until I came back back and saw his eye torn off and his legs eaten. It was horrible! On another forum, some think maybe shes really a prawn or somethin

Hypnox
My original opinion is only reinforced now.

blaxicanlatino
lol shes scares me now 0_o I tried using a turkey bastor to get something out of the tank and she attacked me 0_o I'm like, what da heck! I can even see her teeth!

Hypnox
Got any pictures?

ShaynaB
Does she look different from the other ghost shrimp? Cause prawns look different.

I have a shrimp or two that will attack the siphon when I clean the tank. They have established territories and like to defend them, from what I see.

Pictures would be good.

It's possible that it's a territorial thing. 6 shrimp in a 10 gallon may be a little bit heavy. Mine have a big rock thing that a couple of them have staked out their own little holes in. They always fight over the food I drop in for them as well...

blaxicanlatino
the only difference in looks is her size. Other than that, she looks like everyone else. I don't have a pic right now but I'll try to get one soon. I don't think my shrimps have territories because they always hang out together,ive even watched them follow each other around like lobsters. The big one is the bully though

blaxicanlatino
Now I found the same shrimp dragging my now dead otto way!!! but this time I doubt she did it this time. I think the otto died on its own. She was trying to drag the corpse up the amazon sword before the other shrimps foind it I guess :confused

ShaynaB
Ghost shrimp are scavengers.

They'll get to a dead fish faster than some people realize they're missing a fish.

Finding the fish and then trying to keep it away from the other shrimp is normal. My ghosties do that when I drop in broken up shrimp pellets.

Ram_Kelly
That's funny! I have a false saimensis that has eaten 3 fish... hopefully they were already dead when he got to them

blaxicanlatino
the big one that may have killed all the fish has died. shes just turned white and died! even her insides were white. The other shrimp were eating her and now another shrimp is sporting the foggy color

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaOtto
Replies
Views
Vinh
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question