Ghostly Piano In our House

lyndatu
Hello.......this isn't really important and all, but I really wanna type it down.... :;ghost

It's 10:00 PM and it's time to sleep. I went closing some of the lights in the house.........I was alone because all the others are already in bed. I went to the living room to turn of the aquarium lights and turn on a dI'm light to provide some light for the fish. I decided to watch the fishes for a little while. But then our old piano suddenly emitted sound, as if someone was playing it. I was scared, and slowly turned back, only to see no one on the piano chair, and the piano keys were closed. I froze, and walked my way in the dark halls into my parents' bedroom, and told them what happened. That was the second time I encountered something ghostly.

The sound from the piano was very clear; it's impossible that I only imagined it. The sound was the same key, played/pressed 5 times straight, although the sound was from soft and going to very loud. It was just too frightening. I can only hear the sound of the air pumps then an odd piano sound. this made me sleep in my parents' room. Well, I always do....hehe....I'm a scaredy cat and seldom sleep in my own room....

Well, the piano incident might just be caused by a rat or a lizard, hiding in the piano cover, but still............scary........Our house is very big and very old, it looks like a haunted house from the outside, especially at night. Several people relatives also lived here in the past.

I don't know if I'm going to believe in ghosts. Do you also have some ghostly or unusual experiences? :;ghost

COBettaCouple
I'd vote for a lizard. Hey, if you catch him, will the fish shop give you trade-in credit for some fish?

Lucy
Believe it or not, I have had a couple of encounters.
Once with my husband while we drove around the battlefields in Gettysburg at night and several in a house I used to live in.
The experiences in the house scared me at first, but after a while I would tell her to knock it off. (I knew is was a her after I did some research on the house)
She would move the blinds, without the windows open, knock things over, close doors and once she sat on my bed while I was going to sleep.
She even whispered my name, like this....Loooocy, Looocy, LUCY!. I yelled at her that night. Voices were one thing, hearing my name was a totally different story.
I sound crazy, so I will shut up now. lol

lalynya
So what maybe the house is haunted. If the spirits wanted to hurt you they would have done it already but usually they are harmless.

Believe it or not, I have had a couple of encounters.
Once with my husband while we drove around the battlefields in Gettysburg at night and several in a house I used to live in.
The experiences in the house scared me at first, but after a while I would tell her to knock it off. (I knew is was a her after I did some research on the house)
She would move the blinds, without the windows open, knock things over, close doors and once she sat on my bed while I was going to sleep.
She even whispered my name, like this....Loooocy, Looocy, LUCY!. I yelled at her that night. Voices were one thing, hearing my name was a totally different story.
I sound crazy, so I will shut up now. lol

Nah not crazy..My mom said growing up one of her freinds had a completly harmless ghost that would rearange the furniture and change the kitchen drawrs around when noone was home. so After a while they just kept the furniture where they were being moved to and that solved the problem..The house came with its own interior decorator. Also one time when I was a kid I went to the graveyard that is across the street from the library just to look at the graves cuz they were all historic...I put my bike down and walked away from it....A couple of minutes later I heard a female say my voice in the direction of where I left my bike..I went to my Bike and noone was there.I took off pretty fast after that and it was in the middle of the day in broad daylight.

ghostshrimplover999
one time when I was laying down in my bed to go to sleep I hear this strang sound coming from the computer speakers like hissksksks I just ignored it and went to sleep. well later that night I wake up with my eyes still closed (I allways do this strange thing!) and feel this force pressing down on my chest I open my eyes the force is gone and no one is there. I know I sound cray a lot of people say the mother ship should have already came to beam me up

SereneReyn
I lived in a really old house in CO, and some spooky things happened there... showering (in the ancient clawfoot tub) the hot water would turn up all the way by itself... you could literally see the handle turn. and we had some little knick-knack type things around the house, that would always get turned around. and there was always the sound of footsteps above us, but we rented the whole house and there were no rooms up there, just the roof.

my dad has some spooky stories from the navy too... once he was out on watch, using his binoculars, etc... and it wasn't unusual for the captain to come out on deck and observe the men at their duties, there was even a chair behind him for that purpose. so one night the captain came out and sat down, my dad acknowledged him, and went back to watching... but then he started thinking... that man didn't look much like the captain and that the uniform he had been wearing was the old style... with the rows of brass buttons, etc... and he turned around for a second look and there was no one there.

Red wag platy
You all are crazy! If something like that happened to me, I would be out asap. Why did you stay for awhile if your house was haunted?

Coryd55
Yea I agree with red. I would move to a diff state. We are the only people that have lived in our house so that's good I guess haha. That show on dicsovery channel always freaks me out about ghosts.

rileyrk190
My dog creeps me out in my house because she always looks past me while I am talking to her or petting her, focusing on something behind me. She also constantly looks at the stairs the same way she would look at a human, and barks focusing on something in the middle of the room, which always gives me a chill. Also there was a phase where my watch would be turned exactly an hour behind during the night a few times a week, but just as abruptly as it started it stopped doing it. My parents tried to say it was me doing it in my sleep ( I always sleep with it on), but it would be exactly an hour and the date woudnt be changed and the pin was always pushed in. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would be able to pull out the pin, change the time and not the date which is hard to do when I need to, while i'm sleeping. Thankfully, if this is something, its a friendly non-confrontational spirit..lol

Tavel
the thing about ghosts...they're only ghostly if you intend for them to be ghostly. I've been with people getting jazzed up about the dumbest things, and also with some things that needed greater explanation...but it's always something perfectly harmless and...ordinary.

IMO ghost stories are a result of two things. First is "expectancy"...you expect something, so your brain tries very hard to rationalize it. That's why people will say beverage "A" tastes better than beverage "B" in a blind testing, even if both are the same beverage.

Second is we human's intense compulsion to anthropomorphize EVERYTHING around us. We're social creatures, so we socially interact with our environment. Seriously, does this actually look anything at all like a face?? hahahaha

Then there's also the self-perpetuating or "discovery aversion" built into the myths. once you start looking for it, it's gone. Just like how voodoo priests will insist the latest spell didn't work because another priest was protecting the target or something. Self-perpetuation is a dead give-away to a logical flaw or imaginative creation.

I should point out that my family is very insistent that my house is haunted because "strange" things happen (and they can even give examples). Yet, I've never experienced any strange things and am all by my lonesome all the time in this big scary dark house. Maybe the ghosts just don't like me, but there's that self-perpetuation thing again.

edit: here is a computer guy writing a column on the matter. The fellow is long winded and distracted, to put it nicely, but he makes some nice points and can go off on some entertaining segways...I just happen to run across this about magic and ghosts

https://www.dansdata.com/magic.htm

sirdarksol
My hamster, Damien, used to get into the hammer/string area of the piano and would "play" from in there.
Not that I don't believe in the super-/para-natural, just offering support for the rat/lizard theory.

Lucy
the thing about ghosts...they're only ghostly if you intend for them to be ghostly. I've been with people getting jazzed up about the dumbest things, and also with some things that needed greater explanation...but it's always something perfectly harmless and...ordinary.

IMO ghost stories are a result of two things. First is "expectancy"...you expect something, so your brain tries very hard to rationalize it. That's why people will say beverage "A" tastes better than beverage "B" in a blind testing, even if both are the same beverage.

Second is we human's intense compulsion to anthropomorphize EVERYTHING around us. We're social creatures, so we socially interact with our environment. Seriously, does this actually look anything at all like a face?? hahahaha

Then there's also the self-perpetuating or "discovery aversion" built into the myths. once you start looking for it, it's gone. Just like how voodoo priests will insist the latest spell didn't work because another priest was protecting the target or something. Self-perpetuation is a dead give-away to a logical flaw or imaginative creation.

I should point out that my family is very insistent that my house is haunted because "strange" things happen (and they can even give examples). Yet, I've never experienced any strange things and am all by my lonesome all the time in this big scary dark house. Maybe the ghosts just don't like me, but there's that self-perpetuation thing again.

edit: here is a computer guy writing a column on the matter. The fellow is long winded and distracted, to put it nicely, but he makes some nice points and can go off on some entertaining segways...I just happen to run across this about magic and ghosts

https://www.dansdata.com/magic.htm

Believe me, if you ever heard your name whispered in an empty house, you'd change your mind. The first name whisper...ok, my imagination, the second whisper....what was that? But the third whispery shout.....no doubts.

You should visit Gettysburg, Pa sometime. Now there's a spooky place.

Tavel
Believe me, if you ever heard your name whispered in an empty house, you'd change your mind. The first name whisper...ok, my imagination, the second whisper....what was that? But the third whispery shout.....no doubts.

You should visit Gettysburg, Pa sometime. Now there's a spooky place.

I've been in plenty of "spooky" places with truly freaked out people who had the clever idea to go ghost hunting (Chicago has a long, bloody history of mafia murders, complete with subsequent ghost stories). As a student of science and reason (I sound like a jerk, lol!), I truly appreciate how easily our senses and environmental awareness can be skewed and manipulated...especially by our own senses and consciousness.

"I heard it" and "I saw it" don't really fly, because you think in audio and visuals. You hear yourself talking when you think, you see whatever you're thinking about. You see and hear the movie you're thinking about, and so on...it doesn't take much to elicit some unintentional s and sounds.

Perfect example of this happening in a perfectly non-ghostly scenario would be when you think you hear someone say something, but they didn't say anything. You go "what's that?" and they say "I didn't say anything..." Your brain just tricked you, and you fell for it.

It's not scary when it happens at a party surrounded by 20 people...but it's scary when it happens in a lonely house? I bet it happens far more often around people than when alone for the simple fact that you're with people for most of your waking hours...but it's not scary when you're around people, so you only remember the times when you're alone.

As you said...it's scary because the house is empty

Lucy
ahhh, science and reason will trip you up everytime.
Looking for reasonable explanations when sometimes there are none.

sirdarksol
Perfect example of this happening in a perfectly non-ghostly scenario would be when you think you hear someone say something, but they didn't say anything. You go "what's that?" and they say "I didn't say anything..." Your brain just tricked you, and you fell for it.

By this reasoning, relying upon science and reason will fail you, as science and reason need the brain to function, and if the brain can trick you, science and reason might all be lies.
Of course, if we fail to use science and reasoning because they can fail us, then there's no point to abide by my statement in the last paragraph, since we aren't abiding by reasoning.

Tavel
By this reasoning, relying upon science and reason will fail you, as science and reason need the brain to function, and if the brain can trick you, science and reason might all be lies.
Of course, if we fail to use science and reasoning because they can fail us, then there's no point to abide by my statement in the last paragraph, since we aren't abiding by reasoning.

well science uses tools to to avoid subjective perception. Like using thermometers instead of skin contact, for instance. While reason uses systematic analysis, analyzing what happened, the circumstances, all possible causes (in our case, physical possibilities as well as mental possibilities), and finally comparing it to similar instances...has it happened before?

The reasonable would say "I've had good luck without my good luck charm, so perhaps good luck doesn't stem from my charm."

Whereas the superstitious would just say "the good luck charm is projecting it's protection from afar." Or any variation thereof because the superstition is self-perpetuating and will always avoid direct testing.

You're absolutely right, science and reason can still fail. But they're MUCH less likely to fail, and the reasons will be evident, testable, and correctable.

Superstitions are not consistent and testable, and I think that's why they're so alluring to people. I just think they're a waste of time.

Lucy: there is always a reasonable explanation, you just have to be willing to accept that the world doesn't work the way you think it should (most people have a really hard time with that). I'll admit that sometimes we don't know the explanation. But in those times just remember that time has defeated just about every superstition around. Remember when when lightning was the wrath of god and the sun orbited the earth? Ahh the good old days.

Lucy
Lucy: there is always a reasonable explanation, you just have to be willing to accept that the world doesn't work the way you think it should (most people have a really hard time with that). I'll admit that sometimes we don't know the explanation. But in those times just remember that time has defeated just about every superstition around. Remember when when lightning was the wrath of god and the sun orbited the earth? Ahh the good old days.

Explain, love, it's there. but why? There's no scientific reason for that. Lust, maybe, but not love.

Tavel, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Annabelle
Well I would love to hear science's explanation for mine and my family's experiences with ghosts. My mum and all my sisters and brothers have seen ghosts at some point during our lives. I wasn't alone when I saw my 3 (I was having a sleepover and my friend saw it too). We saw a boy (about 14 with a thick mop of dark wavy hair and a lost expression), a little brown terrier (I think it was his), and a lovebird (I think it was mine).
I would also like to hear the explanation science would give for the girl that runs down our hallway and giggles and whispers in the kitchen (both mum and I have heard her). I first heard her one night when everyone else was asleep and mum heard her the other day (yes during daylight hours) when she was showering home alone. We talk to her and she stops for awhile. Her run and walk sound very similar to mine so I reckon she might be very close in size and weight to me and she it always laughing so I think she is happy.
My young neice has quite a few friends who I suspect are not imaginary because some of them are quite nasty and she has had to tell them to leave. They say kids are more susceptible.
Ive seen and heard too many things to not belive in the paranormal and I know so many people that have had unexplainable experiences. One of my friends and his little sis (when they were young and shared a room) had their bunk beds shake violently with them in the beds. Only the beds shook (not the rest of the house so it wasn't an earthquake) and no, they did not have someone hiding under the bed to shake them.
My general approach is be nice and they won't hurt you. They usually aren't anything to be scared of as most of the time they have their own issues that don't involve you.

SereneReyn
scientifically speaking... some people researching the phenomenon of 'ghosts' have said that these are s from the past that have been 'imprinted' on certain places. that's not to say they are actual 'ghosts' but more like recordings. that's not impossible to believe, imo... but i've seen a lot more than the stories I previously mentioned... I just didn't want to be the craziest one on here, lol...

also... has anyone experience with a locale that seems to be 'cursed'? a house belonging to a friend of mine seemed to be. then again, maybe just coincidence. her brother died in a sand pit in the back yard. a girl died on her bike in the front. a plane crashed in the front yard killing two people. a cactus plant started vibrating, almost jumping all over the table... she called 911, they told her 'get out of the house, right now.'.... and the fire dept. came... turns out a bunch of baby tarantulas were hatching from inside the cactus. /shrug... these things have all happened within about a 3 year period. i'm sure it was coincidence, like I said, right?

Lucy
scientifically speaking... some people researching the phenomenon of 'ghosts' have said that these are s from the past that have been 'imprinted' on certain places. that's not to say they are actual 'ghosts' but more like recordings. that's not impossible to believe, imo... but i've seen a lot more than the stories I previously mentioned... I just didn't want to be the craziest one on here, lol...

I think I got that vote! lol

sirdarksol
Snopes is not the be-all and end-all of urban myth discussions, despite what they would want people to believe.
I agree with them in this case, though. I've also heard about baby tarantulas bursting out of bananas. These are likely exaggerations of people who bought bananas/cactI that hadn't been properly sanitized and had a single hitchhiker hiding amongst the bundle of plants. Still pretty scary, but not as terrifying as the stories.

Tavel
Explain, love, it's there. but why? There's no scientific reason for that. Lust, maybe, but not love.

Tavel, we'll have to agree to disagree.

actually...there is! lol!

Love as I understand it, is accepting another's welfare as your own. Their pain is your pain, their joy is your joy. Lust certainly doesn't allow for that, and most people's definition of "love" is usually just "lust" (Oh it's that flutter in your heart when you see them!) lol.

But that definition accounts for the various forms of love; between man and woman, between parent and child, between man and beast (like a man and his dog, if you were getting any unsavory ideas...), etc.

Given that, and given we are such a social creature, can you see how it would be very beneficial to our species to have such strong imprinting and bonding?

As for the other ghost stories...I've never researched it, and being a man of science, my ideas are quite flexible given adequate persuasion. I suppose ghosts can exist. But I haven't ever seen evidence of ghosts, even in examples that other people find quite compelling ("Compelling", as in they were basically in all of your shoes.)

Lucy
actually...there is! lol!

Love as I understand it, is accepting another's welfare as your own. Their pain is your pain, their joy is your joy. Lust certainly doesn't allow for that, and most people's definition of "love" is usually just "lust" (Oh it's that flutter in your heart when you see them!) lol.

But that definition accounts for the various forms of love; between man and woman, between parent and child, between man and beast (like a man and his dog, if you were getting any unsavory ideas...), etc.

Given that, and given we are such a social creature, can you see how it would be very beneficial to our species to have such strong imprinting and bonding?

That's a definition, not a scientific reason.

Fish Addict
Also, that wasn't where I heard the thing about the cactus! It is in a book, that is just where I found it online...

Tarantulas breed underground, and their cocoons are only about the size of a cotton ball. Definitely not enough to move a cactus!

nmwierman1977
I definitely believe in ghosts/spirits. I don't buy into that science or reasoning stuff.Heres a story for you. When I was a senior in high school I was in a long distance relationship with someone sort of speak. We have never met in person, but were introduced over the phone by my best friend at the time. We hit it off real well and exchanged numbers and talked every night We had made plans to meet in person after he graduated from high school. He was going to take a trip to Buffalo and we were going to spend time together. Well one night after I went to bed and was alreay asleep I felt someone near me and they moved my hair away from face and whispered in my " don't get involved with him,something bad is going to happen." I know it was real cuz I felt my hair move away and felt a breeze when the person went a away.When I woke I saw nobody.The next night I told him what was said and of course he said ' you were probably just dreaming' I said "no this was real. He said something was going to happen to you. Either way just what ever you do be careful and don't do anything dumb" Well the night he graduated which was like a week after I heard this voice he went a graduation party. There had been drinking involved, but he was the more sober one then his 2 friends he came with. His friend insisted on driving though and before they knew it they were ina car crash and tragic one at that. Eric was thrown through the windshield and was in very bad condition. He died the following day. I was so angry with him for not listening to me and so upset at the same cuz we had such a good thing going and we were so close to meeting and he was possibly going to move closer to me and everything. It took me a long time to get over his death.

A few days later I saw an episode on Oprah about spirits saving peoples lives. I couldn't believe it, but what happened to me was real. Natalie

Tavel
That's a definition, not a scientific reason.

I don't know what more you'd want from a "scientific reason" than a definition. It's almost the perfect scientific explanation.

Q: What is life?
A: Cells or groups of cells with reproductive capabilities.

I've never seen a unifying definition for "ghost" that accounts for the various forms and instances.

sirdarksol
A definition is not a scientific reason. Don't get the two confused. A definition can aid a reason, but it is not a reason in and of itself.

However, Tavel did give a scientific reason in his post (though I don't consider science to go far enough in this case). He said something to the effect of a need for strong social imprints.

Trio123
Sirdarksol makes me a little dizzy. and intelligent Tavel is trapped by his own mind, me thinks. "A reasonable explanation" is a way of saying, "explain it with known information". The senses can trick you and many superstitions are probably false but don't be completely blind to new possiblities just because they don't fit into a test tube. Sometimes it's just that the right type of test tube hasnt been invented yet.

On another thought wave though, I like to think that there is a little more to love than just scientifically explainable benefit and imprinting. If everything, especially the spirit/soul is explainable by science, it makes me feel a little nihilist... without purpose, cause, meaning, or morality, etc. Let somethings remain blurried and vague so that the walls and bars are not so clear.

sirdarksol
Sirdarksol makes me a little dizzy.

That's what happens when I think.

0morrokh
I don't know what more you'd want from a "scientific reason" than a definition. It's almost the perfect scientific explanation.

Q: What is life?
A: Cells or groups of cells with reproductive capabilities.

I've never seen a unifying definition for "ghost" that accounts for the various forms and instances.

Ok I have to respond here cause stuff like this bugs me, no offence to Tavel. The problem is you're asking the wrong question. If you say "what is...", then a definition is the answer. But she was not looking for a definition of love, she was looking for a scientific explanation for its existance. To use your analogy, the question would be "what is the scientific explanation for the existance of life?" So you define life as "cells or groups of cells w/ reproductive capabilities", but that's not the answer to the question--you need to then give scientific evidence for your explanation of choice for the existance of "cells or groups of cells w/...". If you claim to explain away a tough question wiht a definition, then assume you probably haven't answered the full question. I'm not trying to pick on you Tavel, just offering my viewpoint.

Now back on topic to ghosts, I personally think it's an interesting topic with no clear answer. I do think that if ghosts exist then there has to be some rational explanation for them. Perhaps it will always be above human understanding.

Annabelle
There are a ton of "unexplainable things" that end up being hoaxes but I think it would be a bit blind to not concede that there could be things out there that science just can't explain (much like my bf does, he is so closed sometimes). Its not just ghosts either. I know one lady that stood across her kitchen and watched herself doing the dishes (she wasn't asleep either). We haven't even really gotten a satisfying explanation for the reason we are all here, for existance. I think science may explain a lot of things eventually but I hope not everything cause I agree with Trio123, I like it when some of the lines are blurry, it gives scope for the imagination and lets you believe in a higher purpose.
Another thing I can't explain is why when my friend in Western Australia has a rotten day I feel for that same period of time even if everything is going my way. I usually only find out he has had a bad day when I can't explain a bad mood and ask him how his day has been.

Lucy
I know one lady that stood across her kitchen and watched herself doing the dishes (she wasn't asleep either).

How much further will I dig myself if I tell you this has happened to me also? Except I saw myself sitting in a chair.
I stood up, but when I turned and looked, I was still seated. I sat right back down onto myself, not wanting to know what would happen if I didn't.

See SereneReyn? I do get the vote for craziest one here. lol

Annabelle
I am voted the craziest one in my groups of friends so its good to be talking to fellow loons. I don't know who has heard of it but there is a movie out called White Noise and it is really worth a watch. The special features give you a lot to think about.

ghostshrimplover999
one time when I was real little I told my mom I heard voices and saw this ghostly figure of a young boy that was very nice to me and she told me that I had an older brother that had died when I was born they did not have anytime to give him a name but he went by sam

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sassymomma
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views