Ghost/ whisker shrimp has an appetite for guppies!?

1. Fibsog Initiate Member

Ok so guppies have died ever since my ghost shrimp was put in my 5g guppy tank. I would always find him eating them. Yesterday, i saw him grab an endler by the tail, but i stuck my hand in and stopped him. He cant go in any other tank at this time. Is this normal behavior? How can i stop it? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    -fibsog

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

Only thing i can suggest is try to keep the ghost well fed

3. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I kept a red claw crayfish with 11 zebra danios for almost a year, the only time she managed to kill one was when she was going to molt and she stopped eating, she'd molt and have one of my fish if I didn't get there first with wafers and pellets. But that is the only trick to keeping them with fish, keep them fat and slow.

4. Taitertot Member Member

If it's a whisker shrimp, which is different but looks similar to a ghost then take it out asap if it's already eating fish. Whisker shrimp are carnivorous, eat live prey and are good at it. They get huge and some I believe are the biggest shrimp species. Whisker shrimp will eat things close to there own size, but I heard once they get really big they start to ignore things they find not big enough to be worth a meal.

5. Taitertot Member Member

If it is a whisker there isn't a way to stop it, this is normal behavior. The only option is, its own tank, a tank with fish much larger than it or return it. If it is a ghost which usually eat dead stuff, this is pretty unusual but I have seen it before

6. Fibsog Initiate Member

Well its huge, so its probably a whisker. I thought i was being ripped off at petco but wanted to support them anyway as they have been nothing but helpful through the past few months. Is this the same type of shrimp as in the shrimp on a treadmill video?

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum