Ghost vs Amano

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by happyfins14, Jul 27, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Maybe this thread has been done already, and if it has, feel free to take it down. But I'm planning a 20 gallon aquarium with guppies, platies, and julii cory catfish and I can't decide between ghost and amano shrimp!!

Ghost pros
    I've had one before, who was adorable and a great addition to the tank.
    They clean up my plants
    They eat leftover food
    They cost like fifty cents

Ghost Cons
    They don't clean algae
    I'm scared of them hurting my future guppies
    They don't live long and there's a chance of them dying for no reason anyways

And I don't really know anything about amano shrimp, but a ton of people say they're the best shrimp and way better than ghosts. I just don't know. Any suggestions?

2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Amano shrimp are not shy, you will see them at every level of your tank. They will groom every inch of every surface.

3. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I love my amanos. They are easy to see/find most of the time. I have never seen them being aggressive to any of the fish, They will eat some algae. They do eat leftover foods. They are more expensive.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Hi shayla1,
    First of all that betta on your profile pic is very beautiful.

Second amanos are sounding pretty good except for a few things:

I have been unable to find that at my LFS, Petco, and Petsmart.
    And exactly how expensive are they?

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Amanos are usually about 2-3 dollars each where I'm at. Sometimes you can ask for lfs to order some. I know a couple pet stores around me will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Amanos are much less aggressive, easier to spot in the tank, will eat certain types of algae unlike ghosts, and will still clean up uneaten food. They are more expensive and harder to find at stores (at least around here) but they seem to be hardier and are also much more attractive.

Another bonus is that they can be safely kept with neocaridina shrimp such as cherries without any issues.

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Another bonus, Amano shrimp live for a very long time, mine have hit the six year mark!

8. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Thank you, the betta is my Mango. He has passed, but was a pet store betta that I fell in love with and brought home.

I am in Canada, but I do have a couple pet stores that regularly carry Amano shrimp. We usually pay around $3-4 here. Everything is a bit more expensive here. I was looking to get a few more for my tank, but the store was sold out when I went yesterday.

9. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

When I can find them locally in this area they're usually somewhere around $3-$5. Depending on how many you want it would probably be cheaper to get them online and shipped to you.

10. OP
    OP
    h

Great thanks :D

11. OP
    OP
    h

Aw I'm sorry about your betta.

And thanks for answering my questions I was honestly expecting them to be a lot more expensive but that's not bad at all

12. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Has anyone mentioned that since Amanos are bigger, they are also less likely to get eaten by fish.

13. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I think somewhere in here someone mentioned it. But ghosts are "spunky" as I call it and are also not super likely to be eaten. But at their price it doesn't really matter...

14. OP
    OP
    h

Nice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice