Ghost Vs Amano Shrimp (and Cherry)

username19528

Reaction score
quick question: I need some more shrimp for my tank should I go with Amano or ghost shrimp? Amanos are more expensive and I'm not sure if they are worth $2 a shrimp were the ghosts are so much cheaper, what do you guys think

ps I might get some cherries as well but idk if its worth it

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like amanos. I prefer how they look to ghosts and they are the best shrimp for eating algae. Mine worked miracles in one of my tanks.

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I heard on an aquarium podcast recently that someone did a controlled research experiment comparing amanos with cherries for algae consumption/control, and they found that the amanos outperformed the cherries... by 6%.
I'm guessing that was based on equal sized shrimps, and also used only 1 shrimp per trial. I heard that all other parameters were identical/controlled. So although I personally like amanos for the work they do, if cherries are ounce for ounce only 6% less effective at cleaning than amanos, they get my vote.
Plus at least the cherries have the potential to breed and self sustain their numbers, whereas amanos will have to be replaced over time.
No time for ghosts. Some are outright predatory.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bitseriously said:
I heard on an aquarium podcast recently that someone did a controlled research experiment comparing amanos with cherries for algae consumption/control, and they found that the amanos outperformed the cherries... by 6%.
I'm guessing that was based on equal sized shrimps, and also used only 1 shrimp per trial. I heard that all other parameters were identical/controlled. So although I personally like amanos for the work they do, if cherries are ounce for ounce only 6% less effective at cleaning than amanos, they get my vote.
Plus at least the cherries have the potential to breed and self sustain their numbers, whereas amanos will have to be replaced over time.
No time for ghosts. Some are outright predatory.
Really? Only 6%..... my amanos are algae eating gods. I believe cherries eat more types of algae (maybe that's why?).

Anywho, my amanos have another trick up their sleave. They are much less likely to be eaten by fish. Either way, I always love to have many cherry shrimp in a tank and then a few larger amanos. I just think the difference is pretty cool.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd rather put ammanos and cherries together ghost don't interest me at all due to they're canibalistic attitude toward their own young and cherries

Kova

Reaction score
I have a few different types of shrimp in my 10gal including both amanos and cherries, and they do okay together, so you could technically get a few of each!

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have ghosts and amanos, ghosts are alright. Fun to watch like any other shrimp. They don't seem to eat much if any algae. I like my amanos much more that the ghosts. they're larger, do a better job cleaning up the tank, seem to be out and about more than my ghost shrimp. Although you can't breed Amano shrimp. Ghost shrimp are a little difficult to breed but mine have been able to reproduce. I started with 5 ghosts a years ago and now have 15 plus. Cherry shrimp are the easiest to breed if you're interested in establishing a shrimp colony.

Fishcat

Well Known
Reaction score
My ghost shrimp seem to reproduce without problems. I can see seven or eight under an inch whenever I look in my tank, and I’m sure there’s more.

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I honestly have no idea how many I have anymore. ghosts are only a little more tricky since when they first hatch they're basically free floating larva and usually get eaten or sucked into filters before they develop enough to control themselves. When cherries hatch they're full fledged minI shrimp able to hide as needed. I believe that's how it works at least... it's been awhile since I've read up on shrimp breeding. Amano's need brackish water to successfully hatch.

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on what type/ size tank you have ?
I keep all three together and everything has good and bad qualities.
Ghost shrimp are the most entertaining imo
Cherries self sustaining via reproduction and more vivid coloration.
Amono are better for cleaning ... I think.

Good luck

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
toeknee said:
Amano's need brackish water to successfully hatch.
Welllllllll... technically this isn't quite correct. They hatch from eggs to zoes (larvae) in freshwater, and then need salt water to grow through the larval stages into tiny shrimp. At which time they return (or are returned by enterprising breeders) to fresh.

[edit: clicked "post reply", re-read my own post, though "geez, who called the details police?". One of those "should have let it go" moments.]

New Threads