Ghost shrimps

1. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Ok so here's the deal: I bought 5 ghost shrimps in a little sealed bag whcih was in cold water but I've read that they live in tropical tanks so I thought they would be fine. I let them float in the warm water in their cold bag for about 20 minutes to let them adjust to the temperature and put 2 in with the 2 male platys and Slurp the plec, and 2 shrimps in with the other 2 female and baby platy's with an otocinclus. My brother and i watched them all evening to make sure no biting was going on but when we woke up all 5 were dead. There are no marks or limbs missing - it seems they just keeled over. Its very sad because they were SOO cool to watch swimming around. Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused it?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It could just be that the water conditions they came from were very different than what was in your tank. I have never been able to keep ghost shrimp more than a few months before they die on me. Don't beat yourself too much on this. If you get more, try acclimating them by adding a little tank water to the bag every few minutes and see if that helps.

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

I think you're right Gunnie.. water was a bit too warm for the little guys. Next time I'll keep them in a quarantine tank and warm it up gradually and see how they do. You live, you learn... just sometimes learn the hard way :-\

4. Silver Initiate Member

Best bet is to go to WalMart and get them for 28 cents apiece. Mine have lived for 2 years now and I do nothing special. I have used thier young for feeding larger fish.

5. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Going to Walmart would involve about 8 hours in a plane and a passport lol I think Petsmart in england will do. Although i got them from a litttle aquatic centre in a bag. They didn;t have much of a chance. :(

6. Silver Initiate Member

That sounds like a plan. You don't want any that have been in a bag for unknown amount of time. I like to float my Fish/Shrimp for a couple hours to make sure of temp, then open bag add a quarter of the amount of water in the bag to it every 10 min. That will bring the water in the bag to your aquarium's water parameters, no jolt to their system. Hope it helps. Pet smart in Michigan has them for 33 cents US each - JSYK. :)

7. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Thats a bargain! Wow... well I'll keep an eye out for some better kept ones who are already in a tropical tank at another aquatic centre next time. At the mo we're trying to cut down the number of platys so gonna give 3 or 4 adults to my boyfriends housemate and then keep the new fry in 1 tank together rather than 2 tanks full of platys! Then we're gonna set up the 170 litre tank when my bro and I have some spare cash to buy a stand. They can go in there with Slurp the pleco and otto the otocinclus as well as the new fish we're gonna get!

8. NanoAddict Member Member

i have a lot of expierience with mini reefs but not freshwater so would you guys suggest getting ghost shrimp to scavange?

9. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Well thats why i got them! ;D

10. nebstew07 Initiate Member

My walmart sells them for 26 cent in Misssouri. I got ten last week and I think my sharks ate them i am going to gett ten more today.

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp are great scavengers and just a joy to have in your tank.

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Did you know if you feed ghost shrimp colored food you can see it move through their digestive tract? Omega One color flakes are bright red and the veggie flakes are green. This is what we fed ours when we had them and noticed this. Try it!! it won't hurt your shrimp ;D
    Carol

13. NanoAddict Member Member

cool thanx

14. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Ha thats coool!! I've got my new tank up and running so gonna give shrimps a try again...after I've got all the other fish i've gopt planned!