Ghost Shrimps

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It could be feces, I see their stomach is red so it leads in that direction. Are you feeding them something red?

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It could be feces, I see their stomach is red so it leads in that direction. Are you feeding them something red?
i gave them a sinking pellet last night thats orange, so youre probably right. thats a lot of feces then.. i thought shrimps have a tiny bioload?..

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, that's poop from a ghost shrimp
They do have small bioloads, but they still produce waste like any other living thing.
thats just a lot of waste for one night! they were supposed to help the ammonia levels not add to it, haha.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah they have low bioloads, but their feces are thin and long so it looks like there's more than there actually is. Also, you'll see the actual feces more because they're lighter so they'll stay on plants and other objects where fish feces fall to the gravel and aren't as visible.

Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, and won't really help get rid of it.... at all. You'll want to look into more plants for that. From my experience, anacharis is extremely helpful with this and grows easily. It's one of the few plants I've found that absorb not only nitrates but ammonia and nitrite

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, and won't really help get rid of it.... at all. You'll want to look into more plants for that. From my experience, anacharis is extremely helpful with this and grows easily. It's one of the few plants I've found that absorb not only nitrates but ammonia and nitrite
i knew they wouldnt persay help reduce levels, but i thought theyd be a good addition because theyd eat any leftover food from my frogs that finds its way off their plate. i have duckweed on the way because i read its good at absorbing that stuff too. hopefully it works like anacharis!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, I just have to clarify something.
You cannot put any fish or anything living to your tank to reduce ammonia, living things only add to it.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, I just have to clarify something.
You cannot put any fish or anything living to your tank to reduce ammonia, living things only add to it.
*gasp* did you just say plants aren't alive?? How dare, they have feelings too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom