1 Gallon Tank ghost shrimp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Make sure the babies have lots of hiding places, like mosses. Also be sure to have places the adults can hide when they molt. I'm not sure if it's the same with ghosts, but female RCS wait until they molt to make magic with the males and they need places they feel secure to molt in.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
on ghost shrimp it can be a bit harder....but my females had many eggs, which were greenish, they are hard to miss. however if a female has already given birth, i'm not exactly sure how you could tell. perhaps the males are bigger?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The females are larger and you can see the saddle on their backs, which is the eggs in their ovaries. The Fish Lore profile seems to say they need brackish conditions to breed because it says to move the female to a separate tank and add salt.

-Lisa

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I have read, the Neocardinia species (i.e. cherry shrimp and other color variations) are much easier to breed than ghost shrimp. They only ever need freshwater, and the young come out fully formed as mini adults. You could probably find someone here, or on aquabid, or even on ebay, who is selling a bunch of them for a reasonable price if you wanted to try starting up a colony of those.

I got a colony started up about halfway through May, and I've already got four (out of eight) females with loads of eggs that are getting ready to hatch.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Who knows if they will breed, even in the right conditions... shrimp sold as "ghost shrimp" can be many different species, even if they come from the same source.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well maybe my ghost shrimp already came with eggs.....because i have a few babies. i dunno. as far as i know, the place that sold me them, didn't keep them in brackish water. but i guess you'll find out soon enough if they'll breed.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well maybe my ghost shrimp already came with eggs.....because i have a few babies. i dunno. as far as i know, the place that sold me them, didn't keep them in brackish water. but i guess you'll find out soon enough if they'll breed.
my friends little brother has a 10 gallon tank full of guppies, Ghost shrimp, and a pleco (it makes me cry... all those poor fish shoved in there T_T) and they dont use salt and the shrimp breed as much, if not more then the guppies, but there is a lot of extra food, so im sure that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom