Ghost shrimp

Cara

Member
My ghost shrimp dropped eggs. Is it possible that these would hatch in a typical freshwater aquarium? I only bought 2....but I seem to have 3 now
 

wishuponafish

Member
Depends on the species of ghost shrimp you have but it's likely. You'll need to keep them in a separate tank or breeding net though because your fish will eat all the babies the moment they hatch.
 

bcsay720

Member
wishuponafish said:
Depends on the species of ghost shrimp you have but it's likely. You'll need to keep them in a separate tank or breeding net though because your fish will eat all the babies the moment they hatch.
Unless, of course, you don't want the babies. In which case, that would be a great thing!
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
bcsay720 said:
Unless, of course, you don't want the babies
Since I thought for sure they wouldn't hatch, I'll look at it as a perk for me and whoever finds them when they're still little
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
wishuponafish said:
You'll need to keep them in a separate tank or breeding net
When I first saw the eggs on the rocks, I did put some of the rocks in a breeder net but those didn't hatch after about a month. maybe I didn't wait long enough.
 

wishuponafish

Member
Cara said:
When I first saw the eggs on the rocks, I did put some of the rocks in a breeder net but those didn't hatch after about a month. maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Hold on, ghost shrimps don't lay eggs on rocks, they carry them until they hatch. It was probably fish or snail eggs instead.
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
wishuponafish said:
ghost shrimps don't lay eggs on rocks, they carry them until they hatch
So I've heard but I posted a pic here at the time and someone said she must've dropped the eggs which is unusual but not impossible. but maybe I'm just wrong about the whole thing
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
Cara said:
So I've heard but I posted a pic here at the time and someone said she must've dropped the eggs which is unusual but not impossible. but maybe I'm just wrong about the whole thing
wishuponafish said:
Hold on, ghost shrimps don't lay eggs on rocks, they carry them until they hatch. It was probably fish or snail eggs instead.
What do you think?
 

wishuponafish

Member
Cara said:
What do you think?
I don't know what it is, looks like it might be some snail or bug eggs but definitely not shrimp.
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
wishuponafish said:
I don't know what it is, looks like it might be some snail or bug eggs but definitely not shrimp.
Ok. Idk either. lol. Chalk it up to mysteries of the water world
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom