Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by 0morrokh, Feb 20, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

What are the guidelines for how many Ghosties you can keep in an aquarium? Like, for fish it's 1 inch per 12 square inches of surface area, or some people go by 1 inch per gallon. I've heard no more than 8 in a 10g, but I am going to keep them with fish so I only have a little room left for them so I want to know how many I can get. Should I just count them as 1.25 inch fish (males are 1", females 1.5), or can they be more crowded? Oh yeah, and they should be fine with Guppies and Platys (male & female), right?

2. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

as far as i am aware of they produce so little waste that you only have to start counting them for anything when you start to get around 5 or more and so yes if you got 3-4 you should be ok and yes they will get along with your fish they may just eat the fry

3. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

anyone know where i could get some... i cant find any at my lfs or at petco ( though i dont go to petco anymore )

4. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

I've heard that Ghosties are fine with livebearer fry, but I don't know if I'll even be raising fry in that tank anyway.  I think I might get 4 of them...although it will be a while, since I'm going to set up a few more tanks and move some fish around...anyway, what do you feed them?  (Besides colored fish flakes so their stomachs are say, green or red... :D)
    Jon, try a specialty fish store that sells live foods, or you can probably order them over the internet.

5. J

ty for the advice... neone know where to find amano shrimp?

6. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Never seen those...actually I dunno a thing about them.
    Anyone know what you feed Ghosties? I've heard anything from algae wafers to fish flakes to spinach, and then I've heard they need protein in their diet...but of course I've never seen "shrimp food", does anyone know if they make it??

7. J

i dont think so... just try feeding them some veggie based foods ( flakes / wafers / vegetables ) and also throw in some protein rich foods ( blood worms / brine shrimp )

amano shrimp are a type of shrimp that eat algae... famously written about in some book by some japanese guy that i cant remember

8. atmmachine816

you can feed them almost anything from veggies to sinking catfish pellets they are scavengers and so fun to watch just make sure they have something to hide in or under so when they molt they wont be afraid heres stuff i know they will eat

flake food
    algae wafers

thats what i feed mine

heres what i have read and heard they can eat

veggies
    sinking catfish wafers
    anything that will sink they will eat

9. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

OK, thanks everyone.
    So basically I just feed them whatever I happen to be feeding my other fish...various flakes, algae wafers, veggies, freeze-dried foods, catfish wafers I need to get rid of, etc. And I'll be sure to have some hiding places for them.
    Any other things I need to know about them? Do they care about the water?

10. atmmachine816

i dont think so

11. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

OK, sweet! Now I just hope my Otos hurry up and get better from finrot :( so I can get some.

12. w

wolfman21 Valued Member Member

pretty much ghost shrimp are easy to take care of. They will eat anything and don't produce much waste

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice