29 Gallon Tank Ghost shrimp white/opaque and dead

PhantomTetra88

Member
Hey guys.
So I have 10 ghost shrimp in my 25 Gallon high, and this morning I woke up to find one of them white and opaque, and dead at the front of the tank. I have had them for about a month and they seem to be growing and thriving. It is heavily planted, and they share it with neon's, phantom tetras, and siamese algae eaters.

0.00 ppm of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

I picked up some new tetras the other day and realized they had ick (didnt quarantine, just dumped them in). I had some API general cure lying around so I cranked the temp to 83 (over a few hours) and dosed with that. I now realize general cure doesn't help with Ick so i'm going to pick up some Tetra Ick guard today.

Do you guys think the general cure is killing them? My PH is 7.6 and I use crushed coral so mineral availability shouldn't be an issue ( at least I think).

Thanks!
 

richiep

Member
I dont depose you have a pic of the dead shrimp
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member

richiep

Member
Is it a moult or is the body inside, if its a shrimp is the body inside all white
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
richiep said:
Is it a moult or is the body inside, if its a shrimp is the body inside all white
I just cut it open and it is a shrimp. Appears to be all white on the inside, in the tail and head area
 

richiep

Member
It could well be Muscular necrosis which eater all the inside, check your others if it is it normally starts in the tail
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
richiep said:
It could well be Muscular necrosis which eater all the inside, check your others if it is it normally starts in the tail
It looks like one of my others has a white colouration in the tail. what should I do?
 

richiep

Member
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
Okay, did a big 50% water change and gravel vacc'd the floor. fingers crossed no more casualties.

One final question,
To treat my ick (considering the shrimp and nerite snails) is it okay to use a reduced dose of a medication containing malachite green, or should I just raise the temperature and continue with water changes. I have read that malachite green can be super toxic to inverts.

Thanks again
 

Bettybrown922

Member
PhantomTetra88 said:
Okay, did a big 50% water change and gravel vacc'd the floor. fingers crossed no more casualties.

One final question,
To treat my ick (considering the shrimp and nerite snails) is it okay to use a reduced dose of a medication containing malachite green, or should I just raise the temperature and continue with water changes. I have read that malachite green can be super toxic to inverts.

Thanks again
This is honestly the best article I've found on Ick and how to treat it. Good luck!
 

richiep

Member
malachite green is tocic to shrimp so I wouldn't go down that road, you're also chancing it raising temperatures, a simple treatable problem could have been avoided if you had a quarantine tank, which is OK for us to say after the fact.
Can you remove the shrimp
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
Bettybrown922 said:
This is honestly the best article I've found on Ick and how to treat it. Good luck!
WOW.
That was definitely an eye opener of an article. Well I won't bother with the temp, just water changes and i'll try to use the malachite green, and get all my snails, and hopefully most of my shrimp into my quarantine tank. thanks
richiep said:
malachite green is tocic to shrimp so I wouldn't go down that road, you're also chancing it raising temperatures, a simple treatable problem could have been avoided if you had a quarantine tank, which is OK for us to say after the fact.
Can you remove the shrimp
Yes that is my next plan. I was a bad boy because it was my birthday, and I got a school of 15 neon's from a normally reputable LFS, and dumped them into my 30 gal. I will move my nerite/mystery snails and hopefully all 9 of my ghost shrimp and put them in my quarantine tank with a cycled filter and heater to there normal temp. I'll slowly lower the temp tonight and dose with malachite after all the inverts are out.

Is malachite also toxic to live plants? I can move my Java moss and fern out, but I have hornwort, rotalla wallichi, dwarf sagg, and amazon sword that are planted.
 

richiep

Member
malachite green won't affect plants so you're ok there, I have found Neons very susceptible to ich they don't seem to like being moved, so I don't keep them anymore
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
richiep said:
malachite green won't affect plants so you're ok there, I have found Neons very susceptible to ich they don't seem to like being moved, so I don't keep them anymore
Good to know. Not a single of of my SAE or phantom tetras has any signs of it, just the neons, so that makes sense.
 

richiep

Member
You still need to treat the whole tank which is a bind
 
  • Thread Starter

PhantomTetra88

Member
richiep said:
You still need to treat the whole tank which is a bind
mhm, I moved all the snails and shrimp out this morning and dosed the tank.
 

richiep

Member
Well done thats about the best you can do
When finished you could put charcoal in the filter and good water change before adding them back
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom