Ghost Shrimp - What can I put with them in 3 gallon tank?

TripleB

Everytime I go by the local petshop (or Wal-mart for that matter) I have to stop and take a look at the Ghost Shrimp....something about them is just intriguing to me.

As you know by now (with my 39 posts or so), I'm just starting the cycling process on my 9 month old son's 3 gallon aquarium and am trying to decide what to put in it.

If I choose to have ghost shrimp in the tank:

1) What fish are safe to put with the shrimp?

2) How many total living creatures (fish and shrimp) can I have in a 3 gallon aquarium?

Thanks for any and all advice.

TripleB

Barbrella

In the last post of one of your other threads on this subject, you said:

Is there any combination of 3 or 4 fish I could possibly keep in the 3 gallon aquarium?

I'd like to have at least several fish (of different types if at all possible) for my son to look at in the aquarium...and something to clean up the bottom of the tank if at all possible.

Sorry to be so hard headed....I would just like to have more than one fish in the tank
The answer is the same. You cannot have a combination of fish in a 3 gal tank. Ghost shrimp grow to about 1.5", so you could either have two of them, or fish to equal 3".

Of course you can put whatever you want in there, but you probably won't like the results of overcrowding, something nearly all of us here have experienced.

susitna-flower

The shrimp don't add much to the bio-load, I don't agree that you can't have a couple of these and a fish.

As stated, you could probably have A female betta, but that is about it! Most other small fish need a group, which would put the total # of fish inches over the 3 that your tank can support.

We are just giving the most responsible advice we can. I really am sorry it isn't what you want to hear.

0morrokh

Ok to make it extremely clear, your choices are:
1. just one betta (female preferably, as they stay smaller)
2. just a few small shrimp (like ghost shrimp)

Choose to take our advise or not, but we are thinking about what is best for the fish. There are just not that many fish that can be happy and healthy in that small of a tank. This advice is for your own good, because fish in overcrowded tanks tend to be a lot less healthy, and trust me it is no fun dealing with sick fish. I've made the mistake of overcrowding myself and would hate for anyone else to have to go through the same trouble.

COBettaCouple

shrimp will need places to hide. a betta may decide ghost shrimp are lunch. That's the problem with smaller tanks. it does limit your options as far as what to put it in. I think a trio of Endlers & a couple of ghost shrimp could work in a 3 gallon tank.

The Executioner

Barbrella said:
In the last post of one of your other threads on this subject, you said:

The answer is the same. You cannot have a combination of fish in a 3 gal tank. Ghost shrimp grow to about 1.5", so you could either have two of them, or fish to equal 3".

Of course you can put whatever you want in there, but you probably won't like the results of overcrowding, something nearly all of us here have experienced.
You seriously can't count a ghost shrimp as a "fish", especially using the rule of 1 inch per gallon. Ghost shrimp does NOT take much space and all he does other than eating is hiding.

***Use common sense: Is it ok to put 7 neon tetras in a ten gallon tank? Yes (They are small); Is it good to put a 10 inch goldfish/clown loach in a 10 gl tank? NO!

To the topic creator, you can have a ghost shrimp and a small fish up to 3". Just make sure that fish is not aggressive or hungry like goldfish.

angelfish220

I hate to be repetitive but I think that A betta would be the best bet. If you include hidding places for the shrimp you could include them. A betta would really enjoy have the attention of the tank and they will develop a relationship with you that is like no other. Also in my experience they are very forgiving of beginers mistakes and will still enjoy your company. They are like the purse dogs of fish keeping

TripleB

susitna-flower said:
I really am sorry it isn't what you want to hear.
Me too!!! I figured if I asked enough questions someone would get tired of me asking and would eventually tell me what I want to hear

Just kidding....I appreciate all the honest responses---it's the only way I can truly learn-------and eventually talk my wife into a much bigger tank

TripleB

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom