Ghost Shrimp Vs Corydoras

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Which cleans better for its bioload?I wanted to know which of these two species are better tank cleaners. I have never owned a shrimp, but I have kept dozens of Corys. I am planning on increasing my clean up crew, and wanted to know if I should just increase my Corys, or add Ghost shrimp. I have 6 cory cats in a 40 gal doing the bottom cleaning. Should I double that or buy about 6 ghost shrimp. My LFS only has Ghost shrimp, not Amanos or cherrys etc. Keeping in mind the bioload, which is more worth its weight in the tank.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really your decision. Ghost shrimp die easier while cories are more hardly. Not saying to have an ammonia tank, but it's your decision. I would get 6 more. I have over 20 in my 60 gallon and they are always swimming around, great cleaners to.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah73 said:
Really your decision. Ghost shrimp die easier while cories are more hardly. Not saying to have an ammonia tank, but it's your decision. I would get 6 more. I have over 20 in my 60 gallon and they are always swimming around, great cleaners to.
So you think they both clean equally? Cuz I do know its my decision, but I wanted to to make the best decision. I wanted to know which of the two cleans best for the ammount of ammonia they are causing.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They barely produce any poop, so you don't have to worry about that. You could also add 6 more cories and like 10 ghost shrimp. First the cories then after a few days add the ghost shrimp

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have ghost shrimp and cory in my 31 gallon, they do a great job at cleanups!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would also agree, corys are nicer to look at too than shrimp.
I’m sure you’re already aware but I have to mention it, corys aren’t really cleaners, they will eat any food that hits the bottom but need their own diet too.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Of course Corys are cooler!
I just wanted to hear you all´s opinion
Thanks guys, I think I will go for 2-3 shrimp and bump the Cory population to 15.

Here is a pic of my Corydoras Elegans:

I have 6 of them right now, along with 2 Corydoras Jullii

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
King o´ Angelfish said:
Here is a pic of my Corydoras Elegans:

I have 6 of them right now, along with 2 Corydoras Jullii
Are both pics yours ? Think the first is a C.napoensis (like mine) l. Second looks like julii indeed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom