Ghost Shrimp Vs Amano Shrimp (5 Gallon)

Discussion in 'Amano Shrimp' started by BloonStuff, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BloonStuff

BloonStuffValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I was hoping to try housing two ghost shrimp with my future betta in a 5 gallon fluval spec v. I'm going to get the shrimp first and let them figure out places to hide and get established a bit before I introduce the betta. However, I'm in the UK (northern ireland to be exact) and I'm finding it hard to locate ghosts locally. I have one more place I can try (other than online) but I've seen amano shrimp locally but I read they're a bit bigger than ghost shrimp. So I was wondering can I house two amano shrimp in a 5 gallon with a betta (and some bladder snails that hitchhiked in) or are they too big?

I may be able to get cherry shrimp and if they are more advisable over amano if I can't get ghosts, then I might go with them but aesthetically I prefer ghosts and amano.

2. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +263
    Experience:
    1 year
    I added 4 ghost shrimp to my 10g that has a betta and he shows no interest in them, even when the shrimp are swimming at the top of the tank stealing food in front of him.
    The only concern i have is them crawling on him while hes sleeping, i haven't seen it but i've read about it. Having bigger amano shrimp would worry me more about them nipping his fins while he rests.

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,493
    Experience:
    4 years
    IMO amanos are the better option because their claws are just fuzzy things to eat algae and soft plant matter and their mouths are too small to do harm. Ghost shrimp have larger mouths and claws and can do damage, especially because most ghost shrimp sold are actually whisker shrimp, which can and will kill bettas :eek:

4. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +353
    Experience:
    3 years
    Betta + shrimp can go one of two ways. Either it's completely calm and works like a charm, or someone ends up being a snack. I would try it with whatever is less expensive first, or have a backup plan in mind in case things don't work out.

5. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think amano shrimp are probably going to be cheaper if I can't source ghosts locally anyway as shipping will probably be at least £10 and carry more risk of DOAs, obvs.

Thanks for the advice. I was mostly just worried that the amano shrimp may be too big for a 5 gallon, even if it's just two.

6. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,685
    Experience:
    3 years
    The amano would be pretty much bio neutral. Not quite, but pretty close. I would get the amano, and let them be for a month first. That should get you 2 to 3 molts, which would prevent them from being eaten. Mine doubled in size in a few weeks, then doubled again in the next few. I've got them almost 2 inches within a month and a half for my original few. The betta can still kill them if hes relentless so I would give them a retreat the betta cant get to them in just in case. They arent dumb though. Also, mine love to run away with carnivore pellets half their size for some reason so that may irk the betta.

7. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,116
    Experience:
    3 years
    Amanos are also hardier because a lot of the ghosts are used as feeders

8. OP
    OP
    BloonStuff

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    Just started
    That's awesome. I think I'll definitely go with amanos then. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully my tank finishes cycling soon so I can get them. :'D