Ghost shrimp trap

Mightaswell

Hi all!
I have some ghost shrimp and 2 have eggs. There's a lot of plant cover in the tank I have them in. Every time I try to get one when I see it, it's gone into the plant life or decor. I dont even have time to grab a net or open the canopy. Is there a diy trap? If so can someone point me in a direction?

Demeter

I'd bait them and wait. Just put some food in where it is easy to net them and wait for them to come to it. Works well for cherry shrimp and pleco fry IME.

DIY snail traps would also likely work. A pop bottle cut in half then placing the top end into the bottom end, putting some food in there and waiting.

Mightaswell

And I'm supposed to wait a few days after she molts to make sure they are fertilized? In doing research I found out if they are inside they are developing and will only be able to get fertilized when the female molts and they are attached to swimerets outside the exoskeleton? Am I right on this?
I have to add I do not know the species but I got them in petsmart.

bettalover101

yea that snail trap is also a good minnow trap. and yea your right

Demeter

Mightaswell said:
And I'm supposed to wait a few days after she molts to make sure they are fertilized? In doing research I found out if they are inside they are developing and will only be able to get fertilized when the female molts and they are attached to swimerets outside the exoskeleton? Am I right on this?
I have to add I do not know the species but I got them in petsmart.
Try posting some pictures of the shrimp in question. When the shrimp is saddled you will see a green patch inside her head area, those are developing eggs. When they are under the tail they have already been fertilized.

Mightaswell

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom