Ghost Shrimp Tank.

1. ElectricBlueCrawfish1

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 New Member Member

I'm setting up a 10 gallon ghost shrimp breeding tank any specifications or should I just not worry about it? That and I don't really know what they would like to eat is it just flakes or like pellets? I have a 29 gallon and I'm going to have my crawfish in it, that's why I want to be able to have an unlimited supply when I start breathing the shrimp into my 29gallon. 1527511052998.jpg

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Have lots of algae in your tank. Starting a new tank isn't gonna help the shrimplets much. They feed on microorganisms. Look at Bacter AE.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

You could also pull some plants from another tank and put them in, it will have tons of stuff for the babies to feed on. I had a bit of a impulse buy for CBS and they went in a fully new tank, but I put some nice plants from an established tank and they loved those. Also, you may want to have some tangle of moss or some form of hiding places because the adults will try and eat the larvae. I haven't personally tried Bacter AE but I have heard tons and tons of great things about it from professional shrimp breeders. You can feed them basically anything that doesn't have copper in it (copper sulfate is okay), I've fed mine everything from cichlid flakes to goldfish pellets, and they'd love some blanched vegetables every now and then. They really will eat just about anything (except live plants, which is great). Also I really like the way your set up looks.
    Edit: keep in mind inverts like ghost shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, and nitrate should be kept below 20 if possible. Good luck!

4. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

I would use a sponge filter if the babies are going to be in there, and lots of java moss or floating plats.