Ghost Shrimp + Plecos?

sapphiresea

Reaction score
Well, I am fairly new to raising shrimp and know little about them. I have read various reviews on mixing clown plecos with shrimp, some claiming that they will be peaceful tankmates, others saying that since clown plecos are omnivores, they will certainly eat the shrimp. Does anyone have any personal experience with this or have a definite answer? I would really like to get a clown pleco for my 29g planted community tank, but not if he will wipe out the shrimp population! Thanks all!

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think it really depends on the size of the shrimps and the plecos andif you have a lot of hiding places. As most ppl know bettas will eat shrimp for dinner and love it all the bamboo shrimp that I had died of their own stupidity (crawling out of the tank), natural causes, or some other unknown issue. As long as they were atleast 1-1.5 inches in length he left them alone Now i don't know anything about clown plecos (infact i've never heard of them pls post a pic if you get one) but if the food takes too much energy to kill then the predator won't go after it. they want something that will equal out the energy spent to eat it. so larger shimps might be alright while smaller ones don't stand a chance i hope that helps!

~inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
from my own experience my bristlenose pleco won't eat shrimp or anything that is still alive...he will harrass my other fish that want his food by chasing them around the tank but he doesn't eat my shrimp or anything!!

~inari

Shrimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
sapphiresea said:
Well, I am fairly new to raising shrimp and know little about them. I have read various reviews on mixing clown plecos with shrimp, some claiming that they will be peaceful tankmates, others saying that since clown plecos are omnivores, they will certainly eat the shrimp. Does anyone have any personal experience with this or have a definite answer? I would really like to get a clown pleco for my 29g planted community tank, but not if he will wipe out the shrimp population! Thanks all!
it depends on how bigthe fish r

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With plecos, I think the easiest way to know if it will eat something is to ask this question. "Can the pleco easily run over it without having to move too much off of the bottom?" If the answer is no, it shouldn't be a problem. Plecos' mouths are not made to catch live food. They are scavenger fish for the most part.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom