Ghost Shrimp Picking At Betta Fins

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my poor baby Ocean has two new tank mates, which happen to be ghost shrimp. my betta seems to be pretty cool about the addition and has not chased the shrimp nor tried to eat/attack them! however, those 2 little demons have been caught riding on Oceans back and trying to pick at his fins while he is sleeping at the bottom of the tank. I mean they’re 39 cents so I just want to flush em since I don’t have a second tank but I just can’t seem to do it.... ugh!
So what can I do at this point?
My sweet angel baby Ocean is probably miserable now and I don’t think those are really ghost shrimp ...they have red striped claws.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a mason jar? A nice little glass window sill "tank" sounds in your future.

OP
sandrafizzle

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
Do you have a mason jar? A nice little glass window sill "tank" sounds in your future.
No, I don’t lol good idea. How long will they last?

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try giving them away. Or chop them up and serve it as food to your betta for revenge, good protein.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they can live for about a year. I had 3 in a big mason jar with a plant. What plant I don't know. No filter. No heater just changed 25% of the water every 3-4 days. I think the first one died around 6 months and the last one about 8 months. It was a fun little project. Any glass or plastic container or large cup would work. Leave the water down an inch or so so they don't get out.

OP
sandrafizzle

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Repolie said:
Try giving them away. Or chop them up and serve it as food to your betta for revenge, good protein.
protein huh. I’ll let my husband know haha I’m too scared

david1978 said:
I think they can live for about a year. I had 3 in a big mason jar with a plant. What plant I don't know. No filter. No heater just changed 25% of the water every 3-4 days. I think the first one died around 6 months and the last one about 8 months. It was a fun little project. Any glass or plastic container or large cup would work. Leave the water down an inch or so so they don't get out.
That would be interesting... maybe I’ll spare the large female

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How about a planted jar just for them? Check this out:

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much are they getting fed? What are you feeding them?
Separation for the time being is a good idea, flushing is not. Since they're feeders, they may have illnesses that can get into local water ways.

OP
sandrafizzle

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
How much are they getting fed? What are you feeding them?
Separation for the time being is a good idea, flushing is not. Since they're feeders, they may have illnesses that can get into local water ways.
I feed them all once a day. I usually give them frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. Ocean likes betta pellets too.

bryangar said:
How about a planted jar just for them? Check this out:
That looks nice. Maybe I can do that, I just don’t have a good natural light source in my apartment.

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those sound like red clawed shrimp. They are often mistaken for ghost shrimp. Red clawed shrimp are aggressive and they will continually tear at your betta's fins.

If they are red claws, I'd get rid of them.

OP
sandrafizzle

sandrafizzle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Donnerjay said:
Those sound like red clawed shrimp. They are often mistaken for ghost shrimp. Red clawed shrimp are aggressive and they will continually tear at your betta's fins.

If they are red claws, I'd get rid of them.
Thank u! Little demons

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes. The actual ghost shrimp Palaemonetes paludosus I believe is their scientific name.

New Threads