Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Ghost Shrimp Picking At Betta Fins

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by sandrafizzle, Mar 5, 2019.

1. sandrafizzleNew MemberMember

my poor baby Ocean has two new tank mates, which happen to be ghost shrimp. my betta seems to be pretty cool about the addition and has not chased the shrimp nor tried to eat/attack them! however, those 2 little demons have been caught riding on Oceans back and trying to pick at his fins while he is sleeping at the bottom of the tank. I mean they’re 39 cents so I just want to flush em since I don’t have a second tank but I just can’t seem to do it.... ugh!
    So what can I do at this point?
    My sweet angel baby Ocean is probably miserable now and I don’t think those are really ghost shrimp ...they have red striped claws.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Do you have a mason jar? A nice little glass window sill "tank" sounds in your future.

3. sandrafizzleNew MemberMember

No, I don’t lol good idea. How long will they last?

4. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Try giving them away. Or chop them up and serve it as food to your betta for revenge, good protein.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I think they can live for about a year. I had 3 in a big mason jar with a plant. What plant I don't know. No filter. No heater just changed 25% of the water every 3-4 days. I think the first one died around 6 months and the last one about 8 months. It was a fun little project. Any glass or plastic container or large cup would work. Leave the water down an inch or so so they don't get out.

6. sandrafizzleNew MemberMember

protein huh. I’ll let my husband know haha I’m too scared

That would be interesting... maybe I’ll spare the large female

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
  7. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

How about a planted jar just for them? Check this out:  

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

How much are they getting fed? What are you feeding them?
    Separation for the time being is a good idea, flushing is not. Since they're feeders, they may have illnesses that can get into local water ways.

9. sandrafizzleNew MemberMember

I feed them all once a day. I usually give them frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. Ocean likes betta pellets too.

That looks nice. Maybe I can do that, I just don’t have a good natural light source in my apartment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
  10. DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

Those sound like red clawed shrimp. They are often mistaken for ghost shrimp. Red clawed shrimp are aggressive and they will continually tear at your betta's fins.

If they are red claws, I'd get rid of them.

11. sandrafizzleNew MemberMember

Thank u! Little demons

12. AJEFishlore VIPMember

They could be whisker shrimp