Ghost Shrimp In Tropical Tank? 76-degrees F

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A little over a month ago, I added a single ghost shrimp to my goldfish tank. The shrimp (my first shrimp) seems to be doing well and have even grown a little.

I'm pretty happy with it so I'm thinking about adding 3 into my guppy tank (2 male guppies). This tank is maintained at 76-degrees F.

Based on what I read, ghost shrimps do not do well in tropical tanks because of the high temperature. But I wasn't able to find a life expectancy in tropical tanks; I'm wondering is anybody who's kept them at can give me some advice on this. Thanks.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow!!! I'm not sure what source you were using, but ghost shrimp are absolutely PERFECT in tropical temperatures! They can adapt to colder temperature (and warmer tropical temps) and are totally fine with your guppies! I have several in a tank with some bloodfins and my friend also has guppies and ghost shrimp

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ghostys are real hit or miss for me. Most of them do not make it. Then there are those that live for a few months. I have had better luck with Amano shrimp.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ghost shrimp are fine in tropical temps, but goldfish are not. They shouldn't be kept at 76°, they prefer lower if you can help it. I wouldn't add guppies, as the goldfish grow both the guppies and shrimp will become snacks. What size tank? How many hiding spots? Is it planted? How many/ what kind of goldfish?

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't remember where I read that ghost shrimps don't like warm water (I remember reading red cherry shrimps are more suitable to the warm but not ghost shrimps).

@RainBetta , how long have you/your friend kept the ghost shrimps? I may try 1 shrimp and observe before adding more (yes, I know they are cheap, but I'd prefer not to kill any)

@Thunder_o_b , sometimes the fish is just sick and near death already, so you shouldn't always blame yourself. However, I've been pretty lucky so far as the fish and shrimp I bought from my local PetSmart and PetCo have been very healthy and none have died since I restarted this aquarium hobby a few months ago.

@Rtessy , thanks for the advice WRT to goldfish being cold water fish; yes, I know that already. Just to clarify, my goldfish and guppies are in different tanks.

After thinking a bit more, I'm still not sure WRT ghost shrimp in tropical tank. So I want to wait for some more feedback of people who have kept them for a while before adding the first one.

I'm fine with just the 2 guppies in the tank; don't want to add a ghost shrimp just because I want to without giving it enough consideration.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jack22 said:
I can't remember where I read that ghost shrimps don't like warm water (I remember reading red cherry shrimps are more suitable to the warm but not ghost shrimps).

@RainBetta , how long have you/your friend kept the ghost shrimps? I may try 1 shrimp and observe before adding more (yes, I know they are cheap, but I'd prefer not to kill any)

@Thunder_o_b , sometimes the fish is just sick and near death already, so you shouldn't always blame yourself. However, I've been pretty lucky so far as the fish and shrimp I bought from my local PetSmart and PetCo have been very healthy and none have died since I restarted this aquarium hobby a few months ago.

@Rtessy , thanks for the advice WRT to goldfish being cold water fish; yes, I know that already. Just to clarify, my goldfish and guppies are in different tanks.
I've had ghost shrimp for over 5 years, and my friend has had her's for about a year now. But I would recommend Amano shrimp more, they seem to be easier to keep

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ghost Shrimp should be nearly clear when you buy them. The whiter they are, the more probable it is that they won't survive.
They do fine at 77, can't attest to higher (my warmer fish are all carnivorous Shrimp-eating plant-destroying little ...)
Try to buy local if you can. Farm-raised Ghost Shrimp from feeder stock are pretty abused a lot of the time, and more often than not highly inbred.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys.

I think, after some considerations, I'm going to pass on ghost shrimps in my guppy tank. I'm going to look for some other cleaners to help with missed food on the tank bottom (not pressing since I only have 2 guppies in a 10 gal tank).

Not sure about Amano shrimps because I read that most are wild caught ( https://aquariuminfo.org/amanoshrimp.html ) This usually means hard to keep. But I'll check if my PetSmart/PetCo carry them, and if they do, I'll definitely look more into them.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure what you have available locally, but there are lots of options out there. Red Cherry Shrimp are pretty widely available, and sometimes you might see yellow, orange, blue, or purple variants (theres probably more).
Dwarf or Pygmy Corys are awesome little bottom feeders, but require special considerations for water quality and substrate, and you cant have just one (theyre so cute youd want more anyways).
In the end, its all about what you want. If what you want isn't compatible with your tank, it means you need another tank

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I plan to check out the RCS. They seem much easier to see (I've sucked up my ghost shrimp a few of times while gravel vac'ing without knowing; only to find it in the waste water bucket).

One issue is that they are small and may not eat as much per shrimp as ghost shrimps. I want to keep their numbers low to avoid breeding. I guess I can always give away the extra shrimps should they reproduce.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, stopped by PetCo and Petsmart hoping to get 3 RSC but ended up with a ghost shrimp and 2 female guppies. They didn't have RSC. I hope the 2 female guppies isn't a mistake -- we shall see... (I guess they can just eat the fry if I get any).

I'll report back on how the ghost shrimp does. But based on comments here, I think it should do well. I've reset the tank target temp. to 75-degrees from 76 for the shrimp. Planning on getting 2 more if it lives well.

Thanks for all your help!

BTW, Petsmart is currently having a guppy sale. Males are only $1 each. Females are $2.50 each.

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sad to report that my shrimp died last night. Tested the water this morning and Ammonia is at .5; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 20ppm. I shouldn't have added so many new fish into the tank all at once. I gave in to greed and now have my first kill : (

Oh well, probably not going to replace it (or at least wait until the water settles down).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom