Ghost shrimp harassing snail?

Mindy3
I have a 8.75 gallon with one betta, a mystery snail, a nerite snail and 3 ghost shrimp (assuming they’re all still alive as they hide mostly). The ghost shrimp have only been in the tank less than a week. Before that they were in a smaller tank with the nerite. I never saw any aggression towards the nerite so I assumed it would be fine. However!! Just now I watch one of the shrimp come out of their cave and start harassing my great big mystery snail! I used a chopstick to shoo her away and she went back inside. The mystery was startled but didn’t completely close his shell like he does if the betta is bugging him. Is this normal behavior or do I have an aggressive shrimp who needs to be removed from the tank? I know for a fact that the mystery and nerite occasionally go into the cave where the shrimp hide and it’s making me paranoid they’ll come back out sans eyes or antennae. Pics for good measure.

PurpleReign19
Mindy3 said:
I have a 8.75 gallon with one betta, a mystery snail, a nerite snail and 3 ghost shrimp (assuming they’re all still alive as they hide mostly). The ghost shrimp have only been in the tank less than a week. Before that they were in a smaller tank with the nerite. I never saw any aggression towards the nerite so I assumed it would be fine. However!! Just now I watch one of the shrimp come out of their cave and start harassing my great big mystery snail! I used a chopstick to shoo her away and she went back inside. The mystery was startled but didn’t completely close his shell like he does if the betta is bugging him. Is this normal behavior or do I have an aggressive shrimp who needs to be removed from the tank? I know for a fact that the mystery and nerite occasionally go into the cave where the shrimp hide and it’s making me paranoid they’ll come back out sans eyes or antennae. Pics for good measure.
The shrimp is probably just attempting to get the food near the mystery. I’ve kept ghosts and mysterys together and never seen anything aggressive. I dont even think ghost shrimp have the ability to harm a healthy looking mystery like that little guy who by the way looks awesome. I wouldn’t stress it.

Mindy3
FreshwaterFins99 said:
The shrimp is probably just attempting to get the food near the mystery. I’ve kept ghosts and mysterys together and never seen anything aggressive. I dont even think ghost shrimp have the ability to harm a healthy looking mystery like that little guy who by the way looks awesome. I wouldn’t stress it.
I was wondering that but didn’t want to risk it so it was the chopstick for her. . She was kind of jumping all around. Couldn’t see exactly what she was doing. And thanks! He’s my little buddy. I love him.

cdw202x
I bought four ghost shrimp way back in November 2020 and six months later, after the population expanding and contracting from 3 to 10, I have five left.

I added those (at the time) 4 ghost shrimp to the red cherry shrimp tank (about 15) and nothing really happened. They didn't fight with each other; they rarely did anything except walk over each other. Together they made a top-notch cleaning crew!

Fast forward to three weeks ago. My BF said he saw a ghost eating a cherry shrimp, but I didn't think too much of it since it probably died and it was eating it.

I then added ember tetras to the tank a couple days later and noticed that especially at night time, the ghost shrimp would try and catch the ember tetras. 99.9% of the time they couldn't, but one time the ghost shrimp caught the fish by the tail and was pulling at it to try to eat it. The fish wiggled and got away. However, the all the embers did seem stressed when meeting a ghost shrimp.

I moved the (now 5) ghost shrimp with the betta and watched the ghost shrimp almost try to gang up on the betta! One jumped on her from above and on caught her tailfin one time, and she was scared. After that, I moved them again and now they are in their own one gallon tank until I can give them away or decide what to do with them! of them in the 1 gallon tank. They measure about 1 inch long, each.

Top Bottom