Ghost Shrimp going after young tetras

Katy82
We have 2 ghost shrimp in our 10 gallon along with a guppy, and ADF and 3 little tetras (about 3/4" tops). Such cute little guys. My son calls them "the babies". The water levels are excellent. We test with the API kit. And the shrimp seem to be well fed. For some reason they love the frog pellets the most. Well I was watching the babies and the big ghostie (prob 1 1/2") tried to catch one! Poor little guy took off hiding in the plants.

Is this normal? The shrimp are not staying in the tank. They are going in the divided 10 gallon with the betta.

Advertisement
Nikita
It is pretty normal with Ghost Shrimp. I've had them catch (And eat) some of my livebearer babies. Not much I could do besides give more hiding places for the babies.

APColorado
Ghost shrimps are predators, they will go after anything in the tank.

Katy82
Well they've been taken out now!! They can have their tank. Silly me listened to the employee at the pet store. Said they wouldn't bug anything else in the tank.

FoulFishes
Well they've been taken out now!! They can have their tank. Silly me listened to the employee at the pet store. Said they wouldn't bug anything else in the tank.

They were just fooling you then. Ghost Shrimp are easily frightened by big fish, or fish that aren't scared of them. But with predatory Shrimp like the Ghost Shrimp its best to assume they will eat anyting they can catch, cause in most cases they will lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NatureFine
Replies
Views
ToasterTheBetta
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies
Views