Ghost Shrimp Glass Surfing

ellenv
My ghost shrimp are glass surfing a lot. I have two and have had them for a month. One of them, Filet, does it a LOT like pretty much every single day. The other one, Celia, is pretty chill and acts more like how I would expect ghost shrimp to act aka marching around the tank and grazing. Filet does join her in the grazing sometimes but does glass surf an alarming amount.

bcsay720
Three questions:

1. Do they have enough places to hide?
2. Are they flipping around erractically? If so, that's a sign of a molting problem.
3. Are they turning white? If so, that's a sign of an illness that will likely kill them.

ellenv
1. Yes, I have plenty of silk aquarium plants, java moss on a lava rock, and a little rock cave.
2. No, I don't believe so. Filet, the glass surfing one, hasn't molted yet. Or if she did, I haven't seen it. Celia, the normal one, was pregnant when I got her and after giving birth she molted in the breeding tank.
3. No. One of my shrimps died when I first got them so I know what that looks like and Filet and Celia look pretty normal and clear.

bcsay720
Hm. Those are the top 3 reasons I would suspect. What do your parameters look like?

veggieshark
What is the size of your tank? I don't know the answer and I am guessing, but if it is not looking for a hiding place the opposite may be happening. If there is only one other shrimp in the tank, it may be looking for a crowd to feel safe or for a mate. If you are not happy where you are you try to go somewhere else.

cdw202x
I found that my glass shrimp would glass surf if something upset them. As the others have mentioned, it could be water parameters, temperature (usually too warm) and if they felt they were crowded with each other. (I have five and there is obviously one that dominates the others in all ways. She is larger, lays more eggs, is gravid more often and is generally more aggressive.)

However, what that exact thing is... well, you'll have to play around with it. The thing I usually found to help was to change the water and also rearrange things in the tank, so it's like new territory for them. Oh yes, I added a small weco shell after every third water change. For whatever reason, that seems to make all the shrimp happier.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom