Ghost shrimp eggs?

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I just recently got some ghost shrimp for my son's 10g betta tank.

One shrimp looks like it has eggs,

Does that mean she will have babies soon, or can she have eggs, and them not be fertilized?

Idk a better way to phrase the question

2. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Eggs in the swimmerets are already fertilized. So yes, those will hatch. Chance of survival is low though, baby ghost shrimp are larval in nature, have to hang near the top of the container, and need a lot of micro flora and fauna to eat on. Betta will probably devour them all.
    The closer to hatching they get, the clearer they become. Right before they hatch, you can see their eyes if you look real hard, or have a handy magnifying glass that's good.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

When a shrimp is carrying eggs its called "berried". Congrats on your berried ghost shrimp! The mom will hold the eggs until they turn into little shrimp then she will release them. Like stated above, they'll need lots of cover and micro organisms to feast on. How old is your tank?

4. SuzanaBanana Member Member

My tank is a little over a month old

5. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You might have some micro organisms for them to feast on. I would supplement with fresh veggies like zuchinni and cucumber and algae wafers and shrimp pellets if you're not already feeding those.

6. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Where can i get the microorganisms? What are they called?

And just stick the piece of veggie in there? Like a big slice or small cube?

7. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I usually do a slice and cut it in half or quarters depending on how much they eat in 6-12hrs.

Micro organisms appear in your tank with age, you can't see them, but they'll grow on the objects, plants, and leaves (if applicable) in your tank. You'll see shrimp just scavenging around the tank.

Also, you can add things like leaf litter or indian almond leaves that shrimp love to graze on and have some healthy benefits to the tank. I like to rip up 1/4 of a leaf into pieces to create my own leaf litter. I bought mine off amazon. Just keep in mind that it might lower your ph a little. However, I haven't noticed any drop in mine.

8. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

There is a product known as bacterae, I dose it in my shrimp tank, and it contains a variety of bacteria and micro flora/fauna, specifically to build biofilm. You could look into that, I hatched out some ghost shrimp, and raised them from larva in a new tank using that stuff

9. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I'll have to look into that. I've never heard of such a thing!

10. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

It's pretty cool stuff. It claims to help with nitrates and such as well, but I doubt that bit. I do know when I first set up my shrimp tank, I was only using this to feed my shrimp, and it definitely kept them alive and thriving. At this point I dose it occasionally, and feed snowflake food for the most part, with the occasional bloodworm treat for protein.

11. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I couldn't find it. Can you post a photo of the bottle or specify the brand and name?

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

13. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

It looks like it is! I just ordered it. So we'll see how it goes! Looks like its made in Germany but has a bunch of good reviews

14. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

That's the exact place I ordered mine from! Sorry, didn't think to mention the manufacturer or where I got it from Tokio.

I should also mention, you can overdose this stuff hard with no ill effects, or at least in my case I did. I got my gallon to liter conversion mixed up in my head, and decided 5 gals was 120liters. Dosed it at appropriate levels for 120 liters for a good month before I realized I only needed a fraction of what I was using, and I should never do math.

15. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Don't fret! I actually ordered mine from Amazon for about the same price. Figured I know amazon better and can return if need be.

I'm excited to try it out. Have you used their other shrimp products?

16. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Checkout my edit! No, the only other thing I've gotten from that website is shrimptanks version of the snowflake food, no other glasgarten product.

Snowflake food is good, and sorry, I'm always forgetting to add stuff, and so end up editing everything.

17. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Thats ok! Lol
    Yeah I watched a YouTube review where the person said they only use 1/4 or 1/2 the recommended dose. I cant wait to try it! Only wish it was coming sooner...

18. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

You sure about this? I have a single female in my tank, and she is regularly berried. New batch every few weeks. It's been a few months since she's had other ghosts with her, but I keep seeing eggs

19. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Well, it's true for RCS, so I figured it would be true for ghosts as well. Did some digging, and apparently ghost shrimp move eggs regardless of if they are fertile or not. Does she only hold them for a few days before dropping them?

20. Skyy2112 Member Member

I believe I was once told Ghosties greenish eggs are NOT fertilized. However, they can hold the males productive 'juice' before she developes eggs. I am unsure if they will spawn unfertilized eggs.

If its similar (not sure) my RCS will be berried for upto 5 weeks. Supposedly you can see eyes in the eggs when they are ready.