Ghost Shrimp Eats Guppies?

Nk25ii

Reaction score
i have a tank of guppies and ghost shrimp and started noticing all my guppies disappearing. I thought they were dying and then being eaten (I never saw bodies) but today I was trying to get a guppy out to move it to a new tank and as it swam by a ghost shrimp I saw the ghost shrimp catch it and start eating it tail first. I was able to get it to release guppy with difficulty - but now I am wondering is this really a ghost shrimp?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You were sold whisker shrimp labeled as ghost shrimp. It's very common as they're quite hard to tell apart, but whisker shrimp are surprisingly mean, while ghost shrimp are not aggressive at all.

Nk25ii

Reaction score
Oh no! Could that be why the dwarf shrimp in my other shrimp tank didn’t make it? I have a shrimp only tank which was a mix of yellow dwarf, cherry and 2 apparently whisker shrimp. Only the whisker shrimp survived

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
'ghost shrimp' AKA 'glass shrimp' are not a species as such, but a common name given to any clear shrimp. So yes, it is a 'ghost shrimp', but the species could be anything. Some species have big claws, others are more like clear cherry shrimp, just with a slightly different shaped body.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom