Ghost shrimp eating another (live) shrimp!!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no WAY!!! so my shrimp tank is in my bedroom.....I woke up before their light was on, but I was just gazing at it from my bed. I saw the little shrimp jumping and flying about....then I saw my huge adult ghost shrimp also flying about. I thought they were playing.

then their light came on, so I went over and saw the huge ghostie eating one of the little ghosties.....who was alive and trying to get away!! it was so disturbing. the big ghost had no plans of letting go.

I now think my blueberry shrimp may not have died...but was eaten ok, I was NOT under the impression shrimp would eat each other while still alive?! am I missing something

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I heard that if you have too many shrimp in 1 tank, the bigger ones will ultimately try to eat the smaller ones. Some guy told me to apply the 1 gallon per inch of SHRIMP to reduce aggression.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well that is def not the case of too many shrimp. there are now only 2 little ghost, and 2 wild-type blueberry. so that's ruled out :-\ this big guy was only introduced last week I think..... but i'm not sure why he'd want to eat a live shrimp. I do feed them shrimp pellets, and sometimes a tiny piece of wafer. he's not starving.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know ghost shrimp are a lot more likely to cannibalize than smaller shrimp like RCS. RCS will only clean up after one of their own has passed on, ghost shrimp like to speed up the passing of smaller, weakly, or sick shrimp.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yup, ghosties are killers, and it's generally not recommended to keep them with other smaller shrimp. I'd love to see a ghostie take on a red claw macro and get its head lopped off by those big claws. >

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
whoa, I had no idea there were killers! but it was his own kind he was eating....I guess he didn't care. the dark blueberry one he ate (I think) wasn't "small", but smaller than mr.king kong of ghost shrimp.

if only I new that before I put him in there. however, I could take him back to the lps, since they know me well in there. to me, it was disturbing and disgusting to witness. >

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, dems some evil scrimps. I can't put my finger on why, but I am anti-ghostie. Probably has to do with their killer nature plus their relative fragile health. I'd move those ghosts out somewhere else. Maybe in with a betta who can teach them a lesson in how mean it is to eat someone alive. >

-Lisa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LOL! Ghost shrimp are way, way more carnivorous than their fellow dwarf shrimp species (Hello Neocaridina and Caridina!). Unlike Red Cherries, Blue Pearls, and Amano shrimp that scavenge after the fish and eat algae, ghost shrimp have very versatile pincers that they use to actively prey on smaller inverts. That's why it isn't recommended to keep ghost shrimp in a dwarf shrimp breeding tank, as they well attack the babies.

Ghost shrimp are rather aggressive for their size. Although shrimp like Amanos can get a bit "fighty" when quarreling over food, ghost shrimp are truly predatory and cannibalistic. However, when you saw a ghostie making a ghost out of the other shrimp, most likely that one was already weak, sick, injured, or dying. Generally, they will not prey on healthy shrimp who definitely have the capacity to escape those rather weak, tiny claws.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kunsthure said:
Yeah, dems some evil scrimps. I can't put my finger on why, but I am anti-ghostie. Probably has to do with their killer nature plus their relative fragile health. I'd move those ghosts out somewhere else. Maybe in with a betta who can teach them a lesson in how mean it is to eat someone alive. >

-Lisa
lol, oh you're right, if I put him in with the PK betta, that would be a show. he tried to kill the nerites within 5min. (I took them out).

you know, it would have bothered me less if he would have just killed the lil guy, then eaten him. but to eat him alive, while his little legs are trying to run away..... geez. now that I think about it....maybe it's time for a visit with the PK lol >

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Elodea said:
LOL! Ghost shrimp are way, way more carnivorous than their fellow dwarf shrimp species (Hello Neocaridina and Caridina!). Unlike Red Cherries, Blue Pearls, and Amano shrimp that scavenge after the fish and eat algae, ghost shrimp have very versatile pincers that they use to actively prey on smaller inverts. That's why it isn't recommended to keep ghost shrimp in a dwarf shrimp breeding tank, as they well attack the babies.

Ghost shrimp are rather aggressive for their size. Although shrimp like Amanos can get a bit "fighty" when quarreling over food, ghost shrimp are truly predatory and cannibalistic. However, when you saw a ghostie making a ghost out of the other shrimp, most likely that one was already weak, sick, injured, or dying. Generally, they will not prey on healthy shrimp who definitely have the capacity to escape those rather weak, tiny claws.
Yep, I agree with Elodea. My ghost shrimp eat the live worms that I feed my frogs and you can see the worms trying to get away and even moving around inside the ghosts body!

I have been reading some stories about large ghost shrimp attacking fry also.

I don't think its too common to find a ghostie that is willing to go through the trouble to catch and eat live prey, but it isnt unheard of.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kupcake: well it might not have been a big deal for him since it's a 2.5 gallon....and there are only so many places they can go. I have 2 rocks with a little piece of slate on top to make a "cave", but it's really tiny. they only other place to hide is in the huge clump of java moss. poor things.

i'm seriously thinking of putting the bad ghost in pk's tank.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would think that the shrimp that was preyed on was already sick, injured, or dying, because there's litte chance a ghost shrimp can use those spindly claws to nab a healthy shrimp. HI'm preying on the smaller one may be helping prevent a disease outbreak...

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Elodea said:
I would think that the shrimp that was preyed on was already sick, injured, or dying, because there's litte chance a ghost shrimp can use those spindly claws to nab a healthy shrimp. HI'm preying on the smaller one may be helping prevent a disease outbreak...
I suppose this could be true......but if the small shrimp was sick....wouldn't the big shrimp then get the disease since he's eating him/it? thus making him sick too?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not usually, as the pathogens probably only infect a certain area of the body with a certain passage method. Most will instantly get destroyed in contact with the shrimp's digestive tract.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a small group of RCS in a tank with my red claw macro shrimp, they all got along just fine for at least a month but one day they just disappeared. Needless to say, I don't put any more inverts in with red claw macro shrimp.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jerilovesfrogs said:
kupcake: well it might not have been a big deal for him since it's a 2.5 gallon....and there are only so many places they can go. I have 2 rocks with a little piece of slate on top to make a "cave", but it's really tiny. they only other place to hide is in the huge clump of java moss. poor things.

i'm seriously thinking of putting the bad ghost in pk's tank.
I didnt mean to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal. Just saying that its not common. If you do 'dispose' of the mean ghosty you probably won't see it again. I am sorry if I offended you

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kupcake: no....no offending....maybe a misinterpretation of words. I was just saying it wasn't a big deal for the big ghostie to grab a small one since it's a small tank with only so many places for the small ones to hide.

well I thought, I could take him back....or I could take my chances in with the PK, and that's what I did end up doing. gwen (betta, male don't ask lol) discovered him and nipped a couple times, but nothing serious. I think the ghost is now put in his place. I looked multiple times today, and they are both fine. I guess if gwen eats him, then that's that. but if they coexist together, then ok. I want to put rcs in the 2.5 gallon, so having that big boy in there would be much trouble.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
it might the small shrimp just molt. When shrimp molt some big shrimp will eat it... My happen too

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chumzhujun said:
it might the small shrimp just molt. When shrimp molt some big shrimp will eat it... My happen too
haha, I wish that was the case....nope this little guy was alive. actually the big one molted recently and he, plus the others, ate that.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This puts me off ghost shrimp... I'm going to have a 2.5 gallon with RCS...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads