Help Ghost Shrimp dying ...

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feel so bad about it guys. I just got them today. All this time I thought a hungry platy would be my problem, but she pretty much let them alone. (She's not feeling too well herself.) Now after only two hours after being in the aquarium my shrimp are slowly growing cloudy and then dying off. I started off with fifteen and now I may have about five still alive and they're acting extremely sluggish.:'(

I wonder what's causing this. Some kind of cooper poisoning in the water? But if that was/is the case wouldn't it affect my apple snail too? (And he's doing perfectly fine, taking his daytime snooze as usual.)

I'm not sure if the others are going to make it, but I really want to have ghost shrimp in my tank. What should be my next step? Maybe get my water tested? Is there such a thing as a cooper testing kit?

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Slowly. As a matter of fact the water that they came in was an alarming lime green color and had a fishy smell! So I floated the bag for fifteen minutes then added about a cup of my tank water into the bag. Waited another fifteen minutes and then netted the shrimps out. (One of them jumped out and was lost before I could get him in the tank.)

I'm still wondering if there's copper elements in my sink water. But then my snail would be hurting, right?

Just fished another shrimp corpse out. This is so depressing. I paid 28 dollars for them too.!>

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slowly. As a matter of fact the water that they came in was an alarming lime green color and had a fishy smell! So I floated the bag for fifteen minutes then added about a cup of my tank water into the bag. Waited another fifteen minutes and then netted the shrimps out. (One of them jumped out and was lost before I could get him in the tank.)

I'm still wondering if there's copper elements in my sink water. But then my snail would be hurting, right?
You know, it's tough to say. Different animals have different levels of tollerance to things that are poisonous to them. I have not experimented to know

I would have acclimated them differently. Shrimp can be sensitive. I generally put the fish in a container and add a little tank water. Then 15 minutes, I add a little more. Then I remove a cupfull and add a little more tank water. then I add more, then I remove a cup. I acclimate shrimp for about an hour.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really? Did I put them in the tank it too fast? Awww poopie! I should have been more careful. Well if that's the problem then I'm willing to spend another 28 dolllars for another shipment and this time acclimate them correctly. But I want to make absolutely sure that was the problem before I plunk down more money.

Can't find any more shrimp in the tank. Either they are all dead or the three remainders are hiding.

What a lousy way to spend an afternoon.:-\

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
$28 for ghost shrimp!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Yeah ...I live in Orlando and I could not find them anywhere except to order them online. Even Petsmart didn't have em. And naturally they charge a 25 dollar for the privledge of shipping them 1-day service. But look if anyone knows of a cheaper way to get them please let me know. Like I said in an earlier post I'm scared to experiment again. Not with 28 dollar ghost shrimp!!!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think you need to overnight inverts. I got my cherry shrimp, dwarf crays and blue cray all online and all with 3 day priority shipping. I would check out aquabid.com.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ONE SURVIVED!!!

I run an in-home daycare and one of my young charges ran up to me and screamed "There's a yucky bug in the fish tank." I went to check and sure enough there was a young ghost shrimp who has somehow managed to survive.

That convinces me even more that you were right all along Jaysee that I didn't properly acclimate them the first time. I think next month I'm going to plunk down another 28 dollars and this time acclimate them for at least an hour ...maybe even two hours. In the mean time I'm glad at least one survived!!!

P.S. I've been to Aquabid several times, but no one over there sells ghost shrimp. Maybe I'll go for cherry red shrimp this time. They're easier to see anyway.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad one made it!

How long has your tank been running? Dwarf shrimp are really sensitive to water parameters (ask me how I learned *that* the hard way ).

Here's how I acclimated my shrimp: http://www.planetinverts.com/Acclimating New Shrimp.html

Ghost shrimp are most often used as food so they're not very hearty to begin with. I haven't looked, but check the live food section of aquabid for them if you really ghosts again. I've got RCS and there's a shipment of yellows on the way. I love the little things!

-Lisa

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! Thanks Kunsthure! Next time I'll follow those directions to the letter. Thanks for you encoraging words too Lucy.

P.S. My tank has been running for about six months now. I do 40% water changes about twice a week.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good info above...Also I would like to add that I believe that 80 degrees may be a bit warm for them too. My understanding was that shrimp like it cooler than warmer?? As in the area of 76 degrees???..and not real hard water...your tank info doesn't state the Ph.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Found another live one. That makes two surviving ghost shrimp all together.

So it was definitely an acclimating problem before. Whew! What a relief. I'll be sure not to make the same mistakes next time.

As for the issues you brought up Tedstank, unfortunately my tank is at eighty degrees, but there's nothing I can do about that. I live in Florida and even with the airconditioning running I can't make it lower then that. (About a week ago my AC broke and the tank rose to 86 degrees!) Hopefully the shrimp can cope.

The last time I tested my pH I think it was 7.8. Again on the hard side I know. Good for apple snails, lousy for shrimp, but again what can I do? I'm scared to mess with the pH levels.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's great to find shrimp you thought were dead! That happened to me, actually. They were dying off in the 5g because I used TSS, thinking everything would be ok. So I moved as many as I could find into my 20g without acclimating them at all. I saw a few dead ones over the next few days and then saw nothing for quite awhile. Then one day I was vacuuming the gravel and found two, but I couldn't be sure that they were still alive. I didn't see them again until the next time I did a really deep gravel vac and then I was positive they were alive. I got lucky because a male and a female survived. And then Sunday I was changing out the substrate and found a third little shrimp! I now see the male and female out and about all the time.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i tried the ghost shrimp thing. my lfs don't even keep them out in tanks the public can see since they are feeders. and as feeders, a lot of the time they aren't taken care of like other kinds. so i got, however many, and like yours, the kept dying. i began to become sad, and sick of it....so i traded them at another lfs for a fish.

so then like 2 weeks later or something, i saw a baby! i was like omg, i have a tiny ghostie! then i found 2 more. i think one of the adult females laid eggs or something....but oddly enough, they have been doing fine. they're getting bigger and having more fun swimming.

however, what you paid was insane! i got like 12 for 1 dollar something! i wouldn't spend 28 bucks for ghost shrimp sorry. perhaps some other kinds.

so the other day i got a female cherry shrimp, who i hope has some eggs in her, and a blueberry shrimp. i didn't want to buy too many given the outcome of the ghosts. they both are doing fine though. in fact, i had a scare today. my daughter said one had died....i was like noooooo! so after a while, i finally figured out the two had molted, or shed, whatever you call it! lol. glad they're fine

i agree though, try aquabid

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Be careful, jerilovesfrogs, I think RCS and blueberries can crossbreed. They are both neocaridina and generally (there are a few exceptions) neos can cross with neos but not caridina. I did a quick google but didn't really dig deeply.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom