Ghost Shrimp dying?

Sien

HI guys. I am not anywhere close to an expert on shrimp and have always had ghost shrimp. Recently I bought 10 ghost shrimp to add to my colony of 6 in my 10g. One died during a water change, managed to jump out and did not find him in time. One from the new batch died, which was not surprising because they were sold as feeders and I figured a couple would die from transport/stress. Well another died tonight and I am worried. It was still kind of moving but the other shrimp were already eating it. So as awful as it sounds....that is there meal for tonight. I am down to 13 and usually have no issues with them. Both the shrimp that died were a cloudy white before they died. I have seen this before but usually they would molt soon. I recently did a substrate change and added a lot of live plants. Most are super active, scavenging, interacting with each other, etc. I read that they could be trying to molt but lack iodine to successfully molt so they die? Any shrimp supplements I can add to the water that will not harm plants and fish? If anyone can educate me a bit more about this that would be greatly appreciated.

MissNoodle

They are not very hardy. Great shrimp but they don't live long at all. They die super easy. Especially when sold from feeder stock. Theyre not bred for longevity or hardiness.

Its totally normal to lose some in these ways.

Sien

They are not very hardy. Great shrimp but they don't live long at all. They die super easy. Especially when sold from feeder stock. Theyre not bred for longevity or hardiness.

Its totally normal to lose some in these ways.
Okay thanks, that's what I was thinking but needed a second opinion. Is there still anything I could add to the water for them? Like minerals or something to help them molt? Or should I just leave it be.

MissNoodle

Id just stay on top of water changes, offer them good food, and keep their parameters as stable as you can

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
erbear
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views