Ghost Shrimp Dying

abarb

I recently added some ghost shrimp (around a dozen) to a 15 gallon with a betta. I used the drip acclimation method for almost 2 hours. I added them to my tank with no die-off for around a week and put in cuttlebone. There were a lot of molts. Then I had a plant start dying and shedding a lot of leaves overnight and had an ammonia spike which killed around 3 shrimp so I did a 50% water change and made sure the temperature was the same. Since last week 1 or 2 shrimp have been dying every day. Today the last one died. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrate. My tiger nerite snail is fine. What could be the reason for their deaths? Maybe they came with a disease?

CaptAnnDuchow

I recently added some ghost shrimp (around a dozen) to a 15 gallon with a betta. I used the drip acclimation method for almost 2 hours. I added them to my tank with no die-off for around a week and put in cuttlebone. There were a lot of molts. Then I had a plant start dying and shedding a lot of leaves overnight and had an ammonia spike which killed around 3 shrimp so I did a 50% water change and made sure the temperature was the same. Since last week 1 or 2 shrimp have been dying every day. Today the last one died. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrate. My tiger nerite snail is fine. What could be the reason for their deaths? Maybe they came with a disease?
I don't know a lot about them even though I have a about 30 ( started with 10) but some of mine turned greyish white a day before dying. And was told it was a calcium deficiency evem with yhe cuttlebone so I started adding a tums daily and now they are breeding and healthy. Maybe try that if you decide to get more.

abarb

They didn’t turn white until they died.

CaptAnnDuchow

They didn’t turn white until they died.
DoubleDutch how are you with shrimp advice?

DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch how are you with shrimp advice?
Sorry to disappoint you but not that good.

Only asking myself where the ammoniaspike came from. A waterchange is a temporary sollution if the cause isn't known / solved I'd say.

danhutchins

Either old age, ( if they were 1-2") when added or the betta was causing greaf while they were molting. I started with 12 ghost shrimp about 6 month ago and all but one died after a month. Then just recently that one died. Best to get them very small if you want them for a long period since most shrimp only live about one year.

abarb

That were all around 1 inch. I never saw the betta bothering the ghost shrimp.
DoubleDutch it was from a plant that started rotting overnight after I added it. I did a 30% water change (same temperature) to not shock the shrimp and added prime.

DoubleDutch

That were all around 1 inch. I never saw the betta bothering the ghost shrimp.
DoubleDutch it was from a plant that started rotting overnight after I added it.
Okay but one should expect a cycled tank could cope with that.

abarb

Okay but one should expect a cycled tank could cope with that.
It was in a few hours. The ammonia was gone in the morning since I added it late at night.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MissNoodle
Replies
Views
kpike78
Replies
Views
Jdoherty12
Replies
Views