Ghost Shrimp Death

Slapp

Hello all,
Today a ghost shrimp died in my 36 gallon community. When I found it, it didn’t have any legs. It turned mostly white with pink sections under its tail. It was one of my bigger females and I’m sad cause she had really pretty whiskers. Anyways, I’m wondering if she died from some old age issues or maybe a tank mate killed her. I have glow light tetras in here along with a rubber lipped pleco. But apart from the odd startle between curious tetra and grazing shrimp I have never seen them be anything but placid.
Possible causes:
Ammonia- but very little chance. I did a test this morning that got .005 ppm. Probably from her death or some melting Val.
Shrimps- When I found her, she was surrounded by other shrimps, but they weren’t eating or snacking at all.
Molting exhaustion- Maybe, but my shrimps usually hide in the driftwood caves if they want to molt. She was just sitting at the back of the tank.
Tetras- They act like teenagers. If they didn’t outright kill her in some late night mischief, they might have stressed her too much. But then again, wouldn’t she just jump? I haven’t had any jumpers since the first day I got these guys, and it was only one.
Starvation- Never. I have a banquet block, and I leave the extra pleco food out for a lot longer than I should. There’s always shrimps eating.
Disease- I know nothing of invert disease. But every other shrimp seems to be going as normal. They haven’t had many eggs in awhile, but I don’t want overpopulation so I didn’t mind.

If this is something that will lead to more livestock death I need to know what I should do. Double water change? Copper testing? Calcium Supplements? Am I just freaking out over a Petsmart shrimp not living long?

thank you
Slapp

bcsay720

I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp. I'm rather fond of mine, too, so I know it can be hard when they pass.

My ghost shrimp last 2 weeks and 1 month respectively when I got them. Ghost shrimp are often sold as feeders, so they're not always well taken care of. They also only have about a 1 year lifespan anyway, so if she was already almost full grown when you got her, there's a good chance she just got old. I don't think calcium supplements are necessary. I have 2 amano shrimp that molt every few weeks as well as snails, and they all live successfully off of the hardness of the tap water. If you have naturally soft water, then I would maybe consider it, but their shells are so thin that I don't think it's necessary.

Also, if she had molted recently, there's a chance a fish got her right after since she hadn't rebuild her shell yet. Glowlights are pretty snarky, so if she wasn't in the mood to hold her own against them, then they also could have just gotten her then. However, they're more likely to nip her antenna than actually try to kill her. Because of this, it's likely that my first explanation is more applicable here.

Slapp

bcsay720 said:
I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp. I'm rather fond of mine, too, so I know it can be hard when they pass.

My ghost shrimp last 2 weeks and 1 month respectively when I got them. Ghost shrimp are often sold as feeders, so they're not always well taken care of. They also only have about a 1 year lifespan anyway, so if she was already almost full grown when you got her, there's a good chance she just got old. I don't think calcium supplements are necessary. I have 2 amano shrimp that molt every few weeks as well as snails, and they all live successfully off of the hardness of the tap water. If you have naturally soft water, then I would maybe consider it, but their shells are so thin that I don't think it's necessary.

Also, if she had molted recently, there's a chance a fish got her right after since she hadn't rebuild her shell yet. Glowlights are pretty snarky, so if she wasn't in the mood to hold her own against them, then they also could have just gotten her then. However, they're more likely to nip her antenna than actually try to kill her. Because of this, it's likely that my first explanation is more applicable here.
I’m sorry about not replying, I’m bummed about the situation.
They all died within two weeks of the first dying. I took half out and put them in a bare tank I had used for growing algae rocks and they died at the same rate as the rest.
Petsmart strikes again.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom