Ghost shrimp dead??

1. U

UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

I have a problem. That is, my ghost shrimp is dead! :( Not that I liked it or anything, it was the devil incarnate, but I am very worried. Is it possibly a nitrite, or ammonia spike? Not enough food, aggression, or some problem beyond my control. My cherry shrimp Rouge is fine and dandy, so I am curious if this is an isolated problem. Hope it is. I wish I could attach pics but I cant.

2. peregrine

peregrine Member Member

Just curious what are readings for the water?

Either way, realize Ghost shrimp are primarily (at least here) bred for being feeder shrimp, so usually aren't very well taken care of so can be less hardy. Had a few in my tank and all but 1 over a month and a half ish have gone to the big river in the sky. ((or could be this one just beat up all the others since it used to try to attack the neons until they pecked back))

3. OP
    OP
    U

My test kit has expired so I can tell you, but the shrimp has only lived for a month since I got it. Curiously, In the same purchase, I got another ghost shrimp that has been moved to cleanup duty in my sisters tank(she always thinks the poor betta is hungry) and it has molted and is doing great...... weird

4. peregrine

peregrine Member Member

All of mine were the same purchase. What it could have been is if your KH and GH are too low it might have had issues molting.

5. OP
    OP
    U

But then why did my cherry shrimp do fine??? and it died quite a while after molting

6. peregrine

peregrine Member Member

Cherry Shimp as usually more hardy than ghost shrimp.

As for the molting comment. How long after molting. I know my ghost shrimp that is left molts about every 6-9 days ((it's a little often but that is because I have a little high KH and GH, I think that is why)).

7. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Like stated above, they're feeder fish and not always handled well. However, there's always other issues you can prepare for.

If it was a moult issue:
    You can always add a piece of natural cuddlebone. It gives the shrimp and any snails calcium they need to make a good shell. It will float but eventually sink once waterlogged.

Feeding issue:
    Also, how old is the tank? What were you feeding and how often?
    Shrimp like to have biofilm to eat from when not being fed. It naturally grows in established tanks, however, someone on here suggested glasgarten's Bacter-AE. Its a powder that helps grow biofilm. I've seen lots of good reviews on it online and can't wait to try it. Most people only use 1/4 - 1/2 the dose.

Water quality issue:
    Shrimp and all inverts are not as hardy as fish. They're usually the first to go when it comes to a water problem. Buy another liquid kit asap.

8. OP
    OP
    U

Thanks for the help ^-^ Its a fairly old tank, and I hopefully plan on buying a test kit soon.