Ghost Shrimp colors?

blaxicanlatino
I'm new to the forums, nice to meet you all, and I just purchased 2 ghost shrimps. One is about 2 inches long and the other being about half the size. Ive noticed that they have been changing colors. They are now sporting black spots and black organs. Is this normal?

thankyou

Lucy
HI blaxicanlatino Welcome to Fish Lore Ha! Love the name!

I'm pretty sure the black spots are normal.

I love them, had a couple but lost them to high nitrates.

Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
I just wanted welcome you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

blaxicanlatino
Hey, you helped plenty!!! Its always good to have somone greet one kindly! Nice to meet you
HA!!! Thanks. yeah, I like da name too lol

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore!! don't know nuffins about shrimp but lucy that link rocks!

blaxicanlatino
I was just concerned because when I first got them they had the black spots but it seems that the spots are progressing. THe organs on the inside have turned from red/green to black as well. They seem active but every once in awhile they don't move much, just in spot as if they claimed it.

Lucy
Give them some blood worms, they'll go crazy! Too funny to watch.
Again, I could be wrong, but you'll see changes as they eat too, pretty freaky. They'll look different and be vulnerable when they molt so give them plenty of hiding places.

Watch the betta, they like shrimp, some realllllly drool like shrimp!

So, where's the pics??;D

blaxicanlatino
no camera. I'm very... non tech friendly. The larger shrimp is soooo lazy( reminds me of my bro) she just hides amongst the moneyworts and sits still all day. The smaller sits under the amazon sword and then randomly goes about the edges of the tank. The betta ignores the shrimps. The first time he encountered the shrimp, the shrimps raised up their claws and hit the betta a few times on the head and never bothered them again. They showed him he in da wrong hood lol. They still haven't identified the foods I place in the tank: flakes, zuchini, peas, etc

Butterfly
Sometimes what you feed them will show through their intestines. When our children were younger they would feed the shrimp only veggie flakes one day to see them take on a green hue or Omega one flakes(which are red) so they would take on a pinkish red hue. They do this because their intestines and body are clear and you could see the food digest through.
Carol

blaxicanlatino
thanks for posting, but what about the shell changing color?

Butterfly
I have a feeling you may not have ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are clear. That's why I posted to say you maybe seeing what they are eating not an actual shell.
Carol

blaxicanlatino
The pet stores around me are pretty crappy, run by teenagers (I aint eva havin no kids!!!) They looked like ghost shrimp and are very transparent, its just I noticed the spots. Could it be illness or stress?

Butterfly
blaxicanlatino
Dont think so. They look exactly like ghost shrimp. The pictures even have black organs. Thanks a lot Butterfly! I was almost worried...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Galathiel
Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views
Scubagirl1
Replies
Views