Ghost shrimp "coloration?" or should I be concerned

Rhyu
Member
I've had 6 ghost shrimp in my 5 gallon Fluval Spec V heavily planted tank for about a month now. They're all behaving normally as far as I can tell, but some in particular seem to be getting a lot of patterning/white on their exoskeleton. Tanks about 2 months old, cycled. Also has 2 amano shrimp (bought as ghost shrimp), 7 cherry shrimp, a mystery snail, 2 nerites, and 3 male guppies.

It doesn't appear to be internal milkiness (other than my one much larger female, who just made her second clutch of eggs today, which I'm assuming is age related?), nor does it appear to be something growing on them (see back lit picture), but some are getting fairly opaque, especially on their heads.

Water Parameters
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate <5 (plants)
Temp ~76 F
pH 6.8
GH ~ 140

I'm working on slowly bringing up the pH, our tap water here is extremely acidic (under 5, my tests don't read lower), I'm using baking soda to raise the pH in the bucket before adding it to the tank. Water conditioned with Seachem Prime. Use flourish fertilizer half dose every 4 days.

I do weekly water changes~ 15-20%, mostly using an aquarium turkey baster thing so that I can get into the crannies and pull out any crud hiding there.

I've got some cuttlefish bone in there, and feed them a few different Hikari foods (shrimp, tropical, algae wafer) depending on the day, usually 2 twice a day. I've noticed they all contain copper sulfate, but it sounds like from reading on here that amount should be safe/necessary??.

ngUmr_lA.jpeg

BdrhWmhA.jpeg

mcNMDU6A.jpeg

More pictures attached. Do I just have really patterned ghost shrimp?
 
Cheesecake
Member
Rhyu said:
I've had 6 ghost shrimp in my 5 gallon Fluval Spec V heavily planted tank for about a month now. They're all behaving normally as far as I can tell, but some in particular seem to be getting a lot of patterning/white on their exoskeleton. Tanks about 2 months old, cycled. Also has 2 amano shrimp (bought as ghost shrimp), 7 cherry shrimp, a mystery snail, 2 nerites, and 3 male guppies.

It doesn't appear to be internal milkiness (other than my one much larger female, who just made her second clutch of eggs today, which I'm assuming is age related?), nor does it appear to be something growing on them (see back lit picture), but some are getting fairly opaque, especially on their heads.

Water Parameters
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate <5 (plants)
Temp ~76 F
pH 6.8
GH ~ 140

I'm working on slowly bringing up the pH, our tap water here is extremely acidic (under 5, my tests don't read lower), I'm using baking soda to raise the pH in the bucket before adding it to the tank. Water conditioned with Seachem Prime. Use flourish fertilizer half dose every 4 days.

I do weekly water changes~ 15-20%, mostly using an aquarium turkey baster thing so that I can get into the crannies and pull out any crud hiding there.

I've got some cuttlefish bone in there, and feed them a few different Hikari foods (shrimp, tropical, algae wafer) depending on the day, usually 2 twice a day. I've noticed they all contain copper sulfate, but it sounds like from reading on here that amount should be safe/necessary??.

ngUmr_lA.jpeg

BdrhWmhA.jpeg

mcNMDU6A.jpeg

More pictures attached. Do I just have really patterned ghost shrimp?
Probably just patterns.
Gonna default to our resident shrimp guru just to be safe. richiep what do you think?
Welcome to Fishlore by the way!
 
  • Thread Starter
Rhyu
Member
Cheesecake said:
Probably just patterns.
Gonna default to our resident shrimp guru just to be safe. richiep what do you think?
Welcome to Fishlore by the way!
Thank you! I've been researching a lot for our 32.5G on here, people have so much good knowledge, figured I'd join in.

I'm leaning towards patterns, they just look a bit different than your usual ghost shrimp on google (but they definitely have the orange bands on the antenna/tail/limbs), and it's gotten a bit more pronounced over time. Maybe they're just maturing/coloring up, other than the big female the others were all really small when I got them.

I'm also not 100% trusting of my source (LFS), given I got 2 Amano shrimp in my initial purchase of ghost shrimp, plus a Macro sp. of some sort (I kept the amano, but the macro got returned).
 
richiep
Member
It's definitely a pattern and I've seen before infact in some unusual colours here on fishlore how they get it or why is something I don't know and have never read anything relating to why they colour up like yours
They are nice and I'd be interested see what young you get
 
Cheesecake
Member
Rhyu said:
Thank you! I've been researching a lot for our 32.5G on here, people have so much good knowledge, figured I'd join in.

I'm leaning towards patterns, they just look a bit different than your usual ghost shrimp on google (but they definitely have the orange bands on the antenna/tail/limbs), and it's gotten a bit more pronounced over time. Maybe they're just maturing/coloring up, other than the big female the others were all really small when I got them.

I'm also not 100% trusting of my source (LFS), given I got 2 Amano shrimp in my initial purchase of ghost shrimp, plus a Macro sp. of some sort (I kept the amano, but the macro got returned).
Sometimes (unfortunately) an LFS can dispense bad information. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.

It'll be interesting to see how they end up .
 
Top Bottom