Ghost Shrimp Cause Of Death?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by mcpumpkin, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mcpumpkinValued MemberMember

I came back from a week long trip to find one of my two ghost shrimps dead. They were set up in a cycled 2.5 gallon at around 68F (no heater) and are fed shrimp pellets and algae wafers. They were also the same size and stopped fighting over food as I gave them two separate pieces of it when I fed them.

I didn't ask anyone to feed them because I hadn't cut up their food but I had fed them right before I left and I thought they could go a week without being fed. He was kind of buried inside the plant, so I don't think the other one killed him because I believe he wouldn't be able to drag him out, but I could see that the alive shrimp was eating him :( Any ideas as to what might have happened? I got home late so I haven't been able to test parameters, but the other shrimp looks fine and it usually sits at 0/0/<5. Any ideas would be appreciated. RIP Zero.

2. Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1Well Known MemberMember

How long have you had your ghost shrimp because they live only around one-one and a half years. The shrimp also could've died because the ideal tempatures for ghost shrimp are 75-82 degrees farenheit. About them living a week without food where did you get that info because I do not know how long they live without food. Could you also test the water parameters.

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Their mortality rate is high, because they aren't taken care of very well in stores because they are sold as feeders. I would just say bad stock.

4. Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

Personally, I've never had any luck with ghost shrimp. As Anders247 said, could've been bad stock. I know every ghost I ever bought, no matter where I bought them from, have always died in the following weeks :\.

5. OP
    OP
    m

mcpumpkinValued MemberMember

Yeah I've had them for around 6 months now. Water parameters are still at 0/0/5 and the other one looks good and is eating, so maybe it was just old age. They were from Petco and are the peaceful ghost species so that it probably a factor. Thanks for the help everyone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice