Ghost shrimp care and breeding

1. fishkeeper21 Member Member

Gamow do I breed them and will fish eat them

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

It depends on the size of the fish, but yes, they can end up food if a fish can get its mouth around it.

There are several recent threads about trying to raise ghost shrimp. It's not nearly as easy as raising cherry shrimp because of the needs of the shrimplets. If you have a separate tank and a supply of green water, you may be able to sucessfully do it, but most people aren't that lucky.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

For shrimp to mate you need to meet their conditions:

At least 1 male and 1 female
    Faster breeding under ideal temps
    Need a good ph to successfully moult
    Need hardwater to keep a good shell and successfully moult
    Hiding places for them to hide after a moult

You can add a piece of natural cuddle bone to help give them calcium.

For babies to survive you'll need lots of cover and places to hide! It all depends on the tank mates if they will get eaten or not.
    They also need a lot of biofilm to eat. This grows in established tanks, however, I just ordered a product called bacter-ae which helps create biofilm for shrimp to graze on. A member on here recommended it with great success.

4. fishkeeper21 Member Member

Everything I need to know about ghost shrimp

Thinking of getting some

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If you want shrimp, cherry shrimp are colorfull and breed fast.If you would rather have ghost shrimp keep them in a 10 gallon planted tank.you can feed them blood worms,shrrimp pellets,and fish flakes.they need temperatures of 70-85 Fahrenheit and a pH of 6.5-8.0.

6. peregrine Member Member

One other piece of advice. Realize Ghost shrimp are mainly bred as feeder shrimp, so don't get discouraged if some die even with perfect water. They aren't taken that good care of. Not saying they won't survive, just saying you might find a relatively high percentage not make it very long.

7. watercrayfish Member Member

My 2 of 5 ghost shrimp survived.
    One of it is carrying eggs, its been more than a week. Any advice for me. 5 gallon shrimp only tank. 3 RCS and 2 Ghosts.

8. fishkeeper21 Member Member

9. peregrine Member Member

How long is a while?

10. fishkeeper21 Member Member

Week to a month

11. peregrine Member Member

I would think with such a small bio load, with a filter you can. Or should be able to with water changes to keep the water parameters good.

12. fishkeeper21 Member Member

The container is like few inches

13. peregrine Member Member

How many ghost shrimp are you talking about?

Do you mean a few inches around, a few inches square/cube?

Sorry for so many questions, trying to give you my best answer

14. fishkeeper21 Member Member

2 shrimp the container is 5 inches

15. peregrine Member Member

OK. To me, again it's my opinion, with only 2, and a container that size and such a short time. I would think it would be ok. What I personally would do is make sure to test the water ever 2 or 3 days or at least for ammonia ((just to make sure it's still good)).. and do small water changes. and make sure to give them a little to eat.. They are scavengers so you could just do a few fish flakes every day. But with no filtration and such a small container it's hard to say for 100% certainty that there wouldn't be any problem