Ghost Shrimp Birth Rate

1. SourCream Guest

So I was thinking of an invert tank and I think Ghost shrimps are more easy to take care of.My question is how fast do they reproduce or double their population in a given time, say weeks or months maybe?!

2. Taffymieh Member Member

It appears quite uncommon to successfully breed ghost shrimp. So I would say population increase would be very minimal if not zero

3. SourCream Guest

Lol wut

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp don't drop shrimplets like cherry shrimp do. Their eggs hatch as larva and then go through various molts and finally become recognisable shrimp. Many of the shrimp sold need brackish water for the larva to survive, and all the larva need green water to feed.

Most fishkeepers don't have those conditions in their tanks. So while ghost shrimp will berry, there won't be new shrimp .

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think ghost shrimp larvae require brackish water (at least not all species), but they are hard to breed. Cherry shrimp are much easier to breed and reproduce often.

6. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Youre. Right, no brackish water needed.

7. SourCream Guest

Thanks I was about to plan on buying GS. I'd rather have RCS

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Ghost shrimp don't need brackish water to breed. I breed them. The shrimplets don't usually survive because their mouths are so tiny when they are born. RCS are much easier to breed because they can eat food easier than the ghost shrimplets. Plus the ghost shrimplets float on the surface. I would do RCS:)

9. cheese Member Member

6 months ago, I purchased 3 ghost shrimp. 1 of which, was a female. in 6 months she has had shrimplets 3 times. she is the only shrimp to have given birth in my tank so far, and I have somewhere between about 20-30 babies in there. feel free to ask any questions as I have a very basic setup and have had success with breeding my 1 ghosty girl :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. cheese Member Member

may I ask, what is "green water?"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

It's water rich in chlorophyll and associated microflora and fauna. Usually algae water, but it can also be manufactured by blending green leafy vegetables in water and then letting it stand.

http://m.wikihow.com/Culture-Greenwater

12. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Its a good thing to have on hand as a wide variety if critters use it, i use it for plec fry. I also know some people who swear by it for mollies and various cichlid fry.