ghost shrimp biotope...

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by monkeypie102, Nov 26, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Hey guys as some may know I have recently became obsessed with biotopes... I am in the process of creating a Betta Imbellis biotope, still looking for the MGOS >:|, anyways now looking at Walmart I found this cool looking 2.5g Aqua culture Parallel aquarium I fell in love with! I have 5 ghost shrimp, which I thought I had giving all to my brother but those little buggers can hid well xD... right now they are chilling in my fish free 10g but I need to clear it out for the bettas and was thinking hey why not attempt a biotope for them as well? I mean why not 2 of the females are even berried :) so here are my questions...

Would this tank, link to follow, be decent enough to care for the growing families?  

I know I will have to eventually start getting rid of them as they have more kids but will it be enough for them to live their lives in?

What type of plants are found where they are from? I know they are north American shrimp but I am not sure if they are found in Illinois so I can't be sure if finding plants from my area would be okay or not..., I would be ordering any and all plants online/LFS though don't want to risk anything...

Are they found in fast moving rivers or small stream s? How would I recreate this in a 2.5g? I can't get any more larger tanks so this small one will have to work... also are there any snails native to north America where the shrimp are found? I don't want to use MTS or RA,horns unless they are indeed natural and not an introduced "pest"...

Thanks for you help guys!!!

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

2.5 gallons isn't enough for that many ghost shrimp. They're not like RCS, they're territorial and I think the stocking is usually one shrimp per gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Well in that case I will just fish out the males and keep the 2 girls :) my brother has the rest of my colony at his house and he feeds the smaller ones to his angels...

Would that be good then?

4. kinezumi89

Well technically, until they have babies and you have a zillion shrimp :p

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Lol well then I would just let them grow a bit, until I can net them, then ship them to my brothers house ;) or make them Capitan Black Skirts dinner :) then I will have females with no males to breed with!

Oh and i found a small list of native plants to the USA... it is as follows:
    Mosquito Fern (Azolla caroliniata) American Frogbit (Limnobium spongia) Watershield (Brasenia schreberi) Waterlilies (Nuphar spp., particularly N. lutea and N. variegate) Fragrant Waterlily (Nymphaea odorata)

Native Marginal Plants*

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) Arrowhead (Sagittaria spp.) Cattail (Typha spp.) Lizardtail (Saururus cernuus) Golden Clubtail (Orontium aquatic) Pickeral Weed (Pontederia cordata) Water Iris (Iris versicolor) Horsetail Rush (Equestrium hyemale) Watercress (Nasturtium officiale)

Submerged Aquatic Plants**

Anacharis (Elodea canadensis – this is not the plant you buy in stores under this name) Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniata) Hornwort (Ceratophyllum spp.) Bacopa (Bacopa spp., particularly B. caroliniata) Bassweeds (Potomageton spp.) Water Grass (Valisneria americana) American Sword (Otelia alismoides, Echinodorus cordifolius – often sold as E. radicans) Crowsfoot (Ranunculus spp.)

I got this list from  

Now I now not all of these plants will fit in a 2.5 and lots of pruning will be done xD but for now I need to weed through this list (pun not intended) I was think ng American frogbit for sure as a floating plant... and I have anchoris already it just needs pruned badly lol (its taller than my 26g and has tons of shoots)

6. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

okay so I have Hornwort, Cambodia, and the frog bit taken care of... I also have the Ludwigia and anchoris already so I have most of the tank planted lol just need to decided on a few things... dirted or not... sand v. gravel... the like lol...

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Okay I decided on Dirted with Sand! I will buy some white sand from Petsmart tomorrow and then next week I will be able to buy the tank itself ;) I am excited to get this project started as it is small so it will be a quick set up!

Oh and what Snails are native to the USA?

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

haha!!! I may be able to push this project up to a 5g :) My brother has an extra one laying around the only think I will need to find is a light source, filtration, and heating but my house stays about 73 so I think the Ghosts will be fine in it until I find a heater as I read they are fine in temps around 50 degrees. also that means I will be able to keep the 3 males and 2 females... and the babies will be used as live food for my tetras and betta Crescendo :)

9. kinezumi89

10. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

ah... well I was told they were sub tropical and enjoyed at least 73-75... but if it's not needed I guess no heat will be added...

11. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

okay I have acquired the 5g :) (I need a blog xD)

12. FoulFishes

FoulFishesValued MemberMember

Great tank idea! I am working on a 5 gallon Red Cherry Shrimp tank myself (after the Amazon River Basin is running stable). I've always liked RCS alot but i've never been able to keep them before, so I forced myself to pick Crabs or Shrimps. Shrimps now, crabs some other day, haha.

Although I have had great success keeping 2-3 Ghost Shrimp per gallon, 5 in a 5 sounds great. The babies might have a better chance of escaping the wrath of their sinister cannibalistic parents. I honestly am not too sure about their biotope, but I think I read somewhere that Nerites Snails can be found off the coast of Florida and around Central America. Not sure if Ghost Shrimps have made it to CA though. Probably should double check on the Nerites...

13. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Thanks :) I think it is a pretty awesome idea myself... though the amount of comments seem to disagree xD

I am still looking at plants found where the can be located naturally... plus I want to know if i should do a pond biotope for them or a stream kind... (ie. Lots of water flow and pebbled bottom or a dirted tank with sand)

I am not sure if those snails are part of their natural habitat or not...

14. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I've found native ghost/glass shrimp in temps ranging from low 60s to mid 80s, so I think they (generally speaking, since this covers a vast array of species) are fine at comfortable room temp.

15. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yeah i was thinking keeping it room temp since my house tends to stay between 68 and 72...

Sooo... plants besides hornwort I am not sure what else... I have some duckweed growing quite well also :)

16. FoulFishes

Not too many people commented about my Amazon River Basin biotope either, but I guess that also a lot more of a popular biotope to do than Ghost Shrimp. But after searching for Ghot Shrimp habitat images this is the only one that popped up so i'd say more of a pond biotope, and cause fast stream waters will blow them around the tank haha.

17. jetajockey

They live in swamps and ditches and in heavy vegetation in slow moving water areas, so you can basically go with anything heavily planted and it'll work out.

18. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

yeah I know any heavily planted tank will do but I am looking for Native North American plants... native not invasive... I would love to be able to mimic the environment :)

19. FoulFishes

I didn't mean popular in therms of how many replies to a post, but popular as in that biotope being more common than yours, haha.

I think a dirt/sand mix is a cool way to go. Maybe add a small piece of driftwood, or saw a driftwood into some small chunks. I grew up in a wet and forest type area and when i'd go check out the marshes most of them had sticks/pieces of wood that fell from the trees or got wash into the ponds.

20. jetajockey

should give you a good start on what plants to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice