10 Gallon Tank Ghost Shrimp babies?

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so I put 10 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon quarantine tank yesterday. They went to town chowing down on the algae in the tank and they seemed happy. Today, I noticed some microscopic (not really, but EXTREMELY tiny) white things on the glass of the aquarium. I got out a magnifying glass and they appear to have tails. Are these shrimp babies? Or are they some kind of parasite?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are you sure that those are ghost shrimp? From what I've heard, ghost shrimp are carnivores and rarely eat algae.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are you sure that those are ghost shrimp? From what I've heard, ghost shrimp are carnivores and rarely eat algae.
They'll eat algae build up in/on gravel when they run out of other sources of food. I had a 5.5G tank that became an algae farm (I have 3 other tanks) when I didn't have anymore use for it.

Started doing test on the algae farm.... long story short, when I got bored growing algae I threw 6 or 7 ghost shrimp in the tank, by the morning of the 4th day the algae build up was about 80% gone on the gravel. They didn't touch the glass. I threw my over population (30-35) of baby snails from my 40G tank into the 5.5G on the 5th day. At the 1 week point the tank (not counting filter) was void of algae build up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom