Ghost Shrimp As Feeders (help!!)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Koty, Apr 22, 2018.

1. KotyNew MemberMember

I was wondering if using ghost shrimp as a feeder is healthy. I understand they are healthier in terms of not carrying diseases, but I recently saw a post that they are composed of some thiaminase which I understand causes the fish to not be able to digest and utilize vitamin B1. If anyone knows about this being true or false that would be awesome. Thank you!

2. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

They do carry diseases, actually quite often. They’re not a healthy food choice and to be honest I don’t even believe they produce thianamase. Some fish are full of it, shellfish are as well, but I can’t find one study on the topic on fresh water shrimp. Don’t take the “king of DIYs” as gospel. A lot of the garbage he puts out is just that...garbage.

3. KotyNew MemberMember

I want to have a live food source in the tank so that I know if they catfish or eel doesn't get any food, that they can still eat. Would a healthier option be breeding my own shrimp after making sure they aren't carrying diseases? Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Caleb SmithValued MemberMember

If you quarantine a decent amount, you can establish your own breeding colony that are much less likely to have diseases. Cherry shrimp breed faster but are much more expensive as well.

5. FahnFishlore VIPMember

The cheapest and easiest shrimp to breed would be the wild form neocaridinas, which is what cherry shrimp were line-bred from. They are a dull mottled brown color and in a small cycled tank would breed quite proficiently.

My understanding of feeder shrimp is that while they can carry diseases, they do not carry many of the communicable diseases such as ICH or things like camallanus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice