Ghost Shrimp As Betta Food?

OP
JacobsFish

JacobsFish

Claire Bear said:
Sure, but why?
I read that sometimes you should give your betta a varied diet, so I thought fresh ghost shrimp would be a good idea, and keep leftovers in the freezer.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Okay, makes sense. I give mine pellets six days a week. Mine is in a 6 gallon plus tank. Just make sure to remove any left over if you have yours in a small tank so it doesn't raise your ammonia, etc.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Repolie said:
I did once feed my bettas live baby Cherry Shrimps, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for ghost shrimps.
It is fine, I am just saying a small tank and feeding live food can equal an issue but likely np.

Repolie

Well Known
Claire Bear said:
It is fine, I am just saying a small tank and feeding live food can equal an issue but likely np.
Huh? The op asked if it's ok feed Ghost Shrimps and I fed Cherry Shrimps, so I see no difference between feeding either one. What did you quote me for?

InsanityShard

Well Known
Yeah, just don't try to start a colony of them in the same tank. Once they realise they can eat them they don't stop.

OP
JacobsFish

JacobsFish

InsanityShard said:
Yeah, just don't try to start a colony of them in the same tank. Once they realise they can eat them they don't stop.
My betta wasn't too interested. He had a small piece. But my angelfish LOVED it. I'm definitely gonna get lots more. Even one of my lamp eye tetras sole the head!

georgelee1000

Well Known
Hahahahaha that’s interesting because ever since my baby Betta successfully bullied, killed and ate a ghost shrimp. He refused pellets flakes and etc. shrimp is the only thing he eats now. :/ I tried soaking pellets in garlic guard. Forget about it. Does not work. Lollll I think I spoiled him.

InsanityShard

Well Known
georgelee1000 said:
Hahahahaha that’s interesting because ever since my baby Betta successfully bullied, killed and ate a . He refused pellets flakes and etc. shrimp is the only thing he eats now. :/ I tried soaking pellets in . Forget about it. Does not work. Lollll I think I spoiled him.
Keep a very close watch on him. Mine started like that, then in less than a month literally ate himself into extreme obesity/constipation followed by a rapid decline into dropsy... There was nothing I could do except move him to a 1g, and I didn't think there were that many babies... He ate 3/4 of the entire shrimp colony I had. Just... Population boom, followed a couple of months later by my betta just going downhill so fast.

georgelee1000

Well Known
InsanityShard said:
Keep a very close watch on him. Mine started like that, then in less than a month literally ate himself into extreme obesity/constipation followed by a rapid decline into dropsy... There was nothing I could do except move him to a 1g, and I didn't think there were that many babies... He ate 3/4 of the entire shrimp colony I had. Just... Population boom, followed a couple of months later by my betta just going downhill so fast.
hahahah shrimp killer!!! I feed mine dried shrimp now. I soaked them first and used a tweezer to get some flesh. So I can control the proportion. I guess it’s not too bad. They are good protein sources. Mine refuse to eat anything else loll.

New Threads