Ghost shrimp are cocky

1. C

Cameron090601 New Member Member

Thought I'd share my experience with my accidentally bought ghost shrimp:

Well i know that ghost shrimp are scavengers and they eat dead fish (mine has done this before) and today one of my neon tetras died, it was floating about the tank with a little movement so it was only just alive and then bam ghost shrimp gets at it, picks it up(neon cant move) and tries to eat it. Well now the neon definitely is dead. So ghostie runs off the neon in his hands trying to eat it all in one when a blue ram comes along and tries to take a bite out of neon. The shrimp gets extremely defensive and tries to back off with the neon, however the ram is persistent and it tries to pull the neon away from the shrimp and now there was a huge tug of war between them and it looked very heated. Obviously the ram won after about 10 seconds as it is stronger but the ghost shrimp seemed extremely angry and chased after the ram by which time he had dropped the neon. The shrimp proceeded to sort of attack the ram and try to grab onto it however the ram quickly swam away to the other side of the tank and the neon had floated away.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this kind of behavior with ghost shrimp?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I've never owned ghost shrimp but wow, that must have been very interesting to watch. That shrimp is definitely bold!

And sorry for your loss. I lost a neon tetra earlier this week as well.

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I love ghost shrimp! I haven't had one chase a ram though! They will definitely hang on to their food if they can though. They will defend themselves too. I get a real kick out of them. Guess he was pretty hungry.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    C

Yes very long!

6. Anders247

That's not a ghost shrimp. That's a whisker shrimp, which are aggressive and will catch and eat live fish (not just dead ones), I'd rehome it/them.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Really I did not know that, they look exactly the same as ghost shrimp

I don't know if it has long arms or antenna I will check tomorrow

8. Anders247

Can you get a pic of it?
    Ghost shrimp are Palaemonetes sp, and whisker shrimp are Macrobrachium sp.

9. OP
    OP
    C

uploadfromtaptalk1438896940834.png sorry for bad quality it was from a video ill try and get a better pic tomorrow as lights are currently off

10. Anders247

Do the arms have small pincers on them? I can't tell anything from that screenshot, can you share the video?
    Although the body color seems like a whisker shrimp to me.

11. OP
    OP
    C

uploadfromtaptalk1438897095961.png

I've noticed very small pincers yes

12. Anders247

Then I'd say a whisker shrimp. If you don't want it to kill your fish then get rid of it.

13. OP
    OP
    C

There's not much info about whisker shrimp online but nevertheless I will still re home it tomorrow, thanks for the help

14. Anders247

Sorry for the bad news.... no problem for the help.

15. CindiL

This freaked me out, I went and stared at mine with a magnifying glass ha ha. Ghost shrimp have tiny little pincers too and their front legs are longer but it seems like whisker shrimp have very long legs and they appear to be thicker also, not as fine and thin as ghost shrimp legs. Normally I would expect a ghost shrimp to definitely back away from a ram so you're probably smart to rehome him. Mine hide under plants and the only thing I see them eating is algae wafers and left over food even when fry are around.

16. OP
    OP
    C

[​IMG] re homing it today. Definitely a whisker shrimp as you can see the long arms. Thanks for the help

17. CindiL

Hmm, I don't know. I think whisker shrimp have much longer arms then that. Anders247 will know most likely. That guy looks like my shrimp which are supposed to be ghost shrimp. Is there a red dot on both of the front legs?

18. OP
    OP
    C

No red dot. I heard that ghost shrimp have orange red markings so that is another reason why I thought it was a whisker shrimp

19. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I just googled pictures of whisker shrimp and they had a closeup one like you took, and I would say ghost shrimp and not a whisker shrimp. They do have much longer arms than the one you pictured and you're shrimp looks like my ghost shrimp. Alison

20. Anders247

I don't think that's a ghost shrimp. Pretty sure it's a whisker shrimp.