Ghost Shrimp and Mystery Snails with GloFish?

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

We have mostly glofish tetras in our tanks, with a few Mollys and Plattys...

I want to eventually get some ghost shrimp and mystery snails... will these be a good tank mate? I am having a hard time finding info...

Also- do shrimp count towards your total "fish count" for the tank?

Thanks for the help!

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm a firm believer that it depends on the fish honestly, I had a tank with mollies and shrimps where I had no problem.

Then another tank with different setup and my mollies we're snacking on my shrimps left and right.

I would probably recommend to not put shrimps in your tank.

For the snails there's no problem there with the fishes that you have, they might nip on them sometimes just because they're curious but that's it.

For the fish count I guess you're talking about the bio-load. A good rule of thumb in my experience is 2 to 4 ghost shrimps per gallon. But some go to even 10 shrimps per gallon. They are very low on the bio-load, just keep in mind in good conditions they will breed rapidly.

Now for the mystery snails that's another story, they are messy in terms of bio load (they poop a lot!).

OP
F

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ChapouJunior said:
I'm a firm believer that it depends on the fish honestly, I had a tank with mollies and shrimps where I had no problem.

Then another tank with different setup and my mollies we're snacking on my shrimps left and right.

I would probably recommend to not put shrimps in your tank.

For the snails there's no problem there with the fishes that you have, they might nip on them sometimes just because they're curious but that's it.

For the fish count I guess you're talking about the bio-load. A good rule of thumb in my experience is 2 to 4 ghost shrimps per gallon. But some go to even 10 shrimps per gallon. They are very low on the bio-load, just keep in mind in good conditions they will breed rapidly.

Now for the mystery snails that's another story, they are messy in terms of bio load (they poop a lot!).
Thanks! That's really helpful!

New Threads