Ghost Shrimp and Catfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by New Fish in Town, Aug 1, 2015.

1. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Can these go together? I have cory catfish and a mystery snail in my 20 gallon high tank and was thinking about maybe adding some shrimp. I read ghost shrimp are semi-aggressive and might attack other creatures in the tank. Is that true? They always keep the ghost shrimp in the glow tank with albino catfish at PetSmart, but I know that isn't a long term setup.

2. alinkWell Known MemberMember

I dont think there would be a problem with shrimp and Cories. Other catfish could see them as a meal, but Cories dont get big enough. I would consider different shrimp because Ghost Shrimp are bred to be feeders and as a result, they dont last too long in aquariums. Get something like Amano Shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp, or others if your budget allows. :)

3. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

I'm in no rush and it was just a thought, but no one seems to carry any of the other breeds of shrimp around my place.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ghost shrimp are not semi aggressive. They may get this bad reputation from Macrobrachium sp. whisker shrimp that are sold as ghost shrimp, they can be identified by their long arms. Ghost shrimp won't have long arms. Whisker shrimp are aggressive.

5. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Ghost shrimp are only "aggressive" to other shrimp. And even then, not really.
    Ghost shrimp and catfish are 100% okay. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Oh! And as far as getting them as feeders, if they're being sold for like 10 cents, don't buy them. I made that mistake and it introduced a parasite to my tank killing all my shrimp. The ones we sell at Petco are about 50 cents each, still cheap, but actually good quality.

6. lwillValued MemberMember

I would say without knowing how your fish will react it would be best to start with ghost shrimp. If they become a snack it's not even a marginal dent in your wallet and if it works out you can always move on to cherries. I found that in my community tank the ghost shrimp lasted a good while but eventually died off or became snacks for my larger swordtails. But the cories left them alone. My cherry shrimp faired really well too. I just transplanted about 20 to their own tank and I started with way less.

7. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I've never had cories see any shrimp as food. Maybe baby cherries. My betta however... I found out the hard way he likes his meals to be expensive and alive hahaha.

8. lwillValued MemberMember

Yeah. I did mention mine left them alone. I did watch my killifish poop out a whole shrimp once though. Part of the reason I decided to give the shrimp their own tank. And a really good excuse to buy a spec v.

9. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

well, killifish are known for eating shrimp lol. that's their thing! to see one poop out a shrimp whole is kind of funny. :p

10. lwillValued MemberMember

I wish I had taken a picture of it. As funny as it was I was really relieved it didn't cause any problems!

11. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

That sounds like it would be fine, but I would suggest Red Cherry Shrimp over Ghost Shrimp. RCS are very hardy and are known to breed well in most tanks, so if for whatever reason one was to become a meal, you probably wouldn't notice.

I have only had poor experiences with store-bought Ghost Shrimp. They were not sold as feeder shrimp and were actually quite expensive. They are more difficult to breed (if you can get them to breed at all) and they were not as active as RCS (usually hiding or somewhat lethargic).

If Ghost Shrimp are your only available option, then I would recommend you start with a few and add more overtime (depending on how many you actually want).

Good luck! :)

12. gypsy32Valued MemberMember

I have ghost shrimp in my 170 litre community tank along with 12 cories, pleco, guppies, mollies, khuli loaches, mystery snails & others & they all live happily together

I started with 10 ghosts & now i literally have hundreds they are everywhere i the tank, from big ones to the teeny little babies which always get sucked up when i do a water change & i have to catch them all in the bucket & put them back in the tank, so mine breed very well, there is always pregnant ones walking around,

My ghost took a week or 2 to venture out from their little hiding spot but now 7 months later they are active & breeding like rabbits

I have never seen any aggression from my ghosts, if a fish comes too close to them they will just scuttle away, they wont even move out of the way when i stick my hand i there, they just sit there, at feeding time they come out swimmjng all over the tank, its quite funny to see them swimming

So i would really recommend getting ghosts they are really interesting to watch and are a great talking point with visitors because they do look creepy

As long as you have some sort of hiding spot for them if they do need to get away they have a place to go, like plants or mine tend to stick around my bit of driftwood

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

So what happens if they breed? Do they stop eventually, or do they just overcrowd the tank until hundreds of them are in there?

14. gypsy32Valued MemberMember

Well i am not sure if or when they stop breeding but mine are still multiplying like rabbits after 7 months, my guess would be that they would just keep multiplying, mine sure are over running the tank, but on the other side you could make some money out of selling the extra ones, it wont be a fortune but every little bit helps,

15. alinkWell Known MemberMember

If this is true, then you do not have Ghost Shrimp or they are in a brackish tank. They will only breed in brackish water. Eggs that get laid by the females in freshwater will not hatch, just saying that one of the two above mentioned is true about your case.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  16. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ghost shrimp do breed in freshwater although it can be tricky as they have a larval stage unlike cherries which hatch fully formed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  17. gypsy32Valued MemberMember

My ghost shrimp are breeding i have tiny little babies, right up to adults & they are all over the tank & i do NOT have a brackish tank
    I am only a begginner but i do know when things multiply they are breeding, maybe the conditions in my tank are just right

I have heard it can be tricky to breed them but mine are so i guess i am just lucky

18. alinkWell Known MemberMember

I guess Ghost Shrimp can breed in freshwater. Seems I have seen many people on here say they only breed in brackish, but that was bad info. Sorry. Best of luck to you and your frisky shrimp! LOL

19. Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

I've had one of my ghost shrimp jump up and attack one of my tetras, but it wasn't anything to be alarmed of. The tetra just pushed him out of the way and swam on, didn't hurt either a bit. Corydoras I'd imagine would be even sturdier. Good luck with your shrimp, I love mine to pieces and here lately have been enjoying my inverts more than anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice