ghost shrimp and betta?

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a couple ghost shrimp in the tank with my betta. Is that a good or a bad idea? ???

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't any experience with ghost shrimp, but it is my belief that the betta will have them for dinner.

CherryRose

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
cherryrose said:
I haven't any experience with ghost shrimp, but it is my belief that the betta will have them for dinner.   

CherryRose
Dinner you say? What about a gold snail?

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
8) A gold snail would be great. I am planning on getting some snails for my betta tanks. They are great for keeping the algea down too.

CherryRose ;D

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
cherryrose said:
8) A gold snail would be great.  I am planning on getting some snails for my betta tanks.  They are great for keeping the algea down too.

CherryRose  ;D
Awesome, I think I'll grab one as I swing by Wally World tonight. :-*

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
;D ;D ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mystery or Apple snails work very well with bettas but be sure your tank has a cover and that you only get one the bettas become very fond of them and they do not multiply on their own but two will make 200 in a hurry and that is too big a biological load for your tank and will make the betta crazy as they will crawl on him.

Rose

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
Mystery or Apple snails work very well with bettas but be sure your tank has a cover and that you only get one the bettas become very fond of them and they do not multiply on their own but two will make 200 in a hurry and that is too big a biological load for your tank and will make the betta crazy as they will crawl on him.

Rose
Yes... I just bought one gold mystery snail, I acclimated him a little to quick maybe( about 45 min) but he's sticking to the filter... probably eating?
Also I spent a buttload of money on aquarium things, including a python hose and a cycle booster just called 'Cycle'. Man... I went nuts, haha. GUTIAR HERO 2 HERE I COME!!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
captain_bilbo said:
Yes... I just bought one gold mystery snail, I acclimated him a little to quick maybe( about 45 min) but he's sticking to the filter... probably eating?
Also I spent a buttload of money on aquarium things, including a python hose and a cycle booster just called 'Cycle'. Man... I went nuts, haha. GUTIAR HERO 2 HERE I COME!!!
Do you have some algae wafers for your snail? They'd be a good supplement to his diet, especially when there's not much algae for him to eat in the tank. Depending on the Betta liking them or not, you might have to put the wafer right in front of him or even a little under him so he can get a chance to eat it.

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
captain_bilbo said:
Do you have some algae wafers for your snail?  They'd be a good supplement to his diet, especially when there's not much algae for him to eat in the tank.  Depending on the Betta liking them or not, you might have to put the wafer right in front of him or even a little under him so he can get a chance to eat it.
Good idea... I thought about it last night as I went to buy him, but I never really considered buying them. Would he eat shrimp pellets?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also spinach and romaine lettuce--ideally a little wilted--or cucumbers are nice treats for snails. You need a veggie clip ideally for them.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
captain_bilbo said:
Good idea... I thought about it last night as I went to buy him, but I never really considered buying them. Would he eat shrimp pellets?
I'm not sure on shrimp pellets, but you could try them and see if he likes it. poefox's veggie recommendations are excellent for your snail and hopefully nobody else in the tank will try stealing his veggies.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
are you asking if a snail will eat shrimp pellets? i know mine will. heck, they'd eat anything just about

make sure to have good Ca levels so the snail will have a good shell

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
captain_bilbo said:
Careful using Cycle, I was originally planning on using it in my tank but I opted against it after some of the warnings I received from people around here about it. Ultimately it boils down to it being nothing more than a money grabber. Are you using a filter in your tank? If not, then I may see the point in using Cycle. If you are using a filter, I wouldn't bother, if the tank is cycled you shouldn't need to worry about the biological filtration so long as you are using the proper filter (Bio-max, or a Bio-wheel for example).

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity is right - Cycle's a waste of money.. we threw some money down that hole ourselves. What it does is throw your tank into a series of mini-cycles and we've been doing a lot better since we stopped using it.

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll give it a try anyways since it's my larger aquarium that I'm using it in (which has no fish at the moment ). What type would be good for someone as amateur as I am at this to get?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you haven't opened it, you could probably return the cycle & get something else that would be better for your tanks or put it towards the larger aquarium. We went thru half a bottle before realizing how it was affecting our tanks when i tracked the water parameters for a while.

How big is your larger aquarium?

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
If you haven't opened it, you could probably return the cycle & get something else that would be better for your tanks or put it towards the larger aquarium. We went thru half a bottle before realizing how it was affecting our tanks when i tracked the water parameters for a while.

How big is your larger aquarium?
The cycle stuff I bought was only 6 bucks, so I don';t feel at a loss.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good.. we bought the big bottle of it.

how big is your larger aquarium?

captain_bilbo

Valued Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
good.. we bought the big bottle of it.

how big is your larger aquarium?
10 gallon... I actually think I'm gonna have to use it for my betta for a while and give away my 2.5, cause I just sucked out all the water! 20 gallon here I come!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom